There are only so many hours in the day for getting physical. Skipping the gym for a little romp isn't something you should do every day, but when you do choose getting sweaty in bed over the exercise bike, you're still burning calories and benefiting your health. Check out some fabulous healthy bonus reasons to get it on with your loved one.
- Strengthens Pelvic Floor Muscles - Who says you have to get into your workout clothes to work your core? Exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor, an important part of your core, can be done sitting at your desk and even during sex. Whether you know it or not, you're performing Kegels while having sex, which increases pleasure and improves your bladder control.
- Relieves Stuffiness - Having an orgasm temporarily clears up sinuses. Sex for seasonal allergies? Bring it on!
- Boosts Immunity - Here's something else sex and exercise have in common. People who have sex once or twice a week have 30 percent higher levels of the antibody immunoglobulin A, which boosts your immune system and helps fight infections like colds and the flu.
- Improves Sleep - The hormone oxytocin increases when you have sex, and the heightened level helps you sleep better. Getting enough sleep is an important part of your overall health, so if you're having trouble sleeping, you may try and turn up the sexy-time.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease - Research has shown that men who have sex two or more times a week cut their risk of developing heart disease in half.
- Adds Years - Women who enjoy sex live longer than women who don't, and sex can make women feel two to eight years younger.
- Relieves Stress - Stress is bad for your health. Do yourself a favor and get busy to reduce your blood pressure. The feel-good endorphins released during sex will help you forget about your bad day, too.
Related: Sex and Your Health and Sex Advice