Temper tantrums, clothing meltdowns, and gift demands. Sound like a bratty child? Nope, it's the profile of a modern man, according to the results of a new British study.
More on Yahoo! Shine: The Two Words She Never Wants to Hear Him Say
The study was conducted by the money-saving site Quidco.com and included 2,000 people. Researchers found that 20 percent of women consider their significant other a full-fledged diva— these guys are in need of constant reassurance and affection, hog the bathroom to primp, and have champagne tastes. Their poor female partners report spending almost $169 on gifts, extravagant dates, and luxe holidays for their men. More than a third rack up over $2,000 in debt trying to keep their partners happy, and 30 percent worry that they'll crack under the pressure. Unsurprisingly, 80 percent of these couples argue over such issues with more than half splitting up because of them. So what are the signs that a man is high maintenance?
- Throwing a fit when things don't go his way.
- Wanting his partner to pick up his phone calls within a certain number of rings and demanding an immediate reply to his text message or email.
- Needing to be told "I love you" several times a day.
- Showing up to places fashionably late.
- Monopolizing the bathroom.
- Changing his outfit several times a day and refusing to wear clothes that aren't designer brands.
- Worrying about how he looks, constantly gazing at himself in the mirror, and primping for long periods of time.
- Avoiding activities that make him sweaty or dirty.
- Shunning public transportation and refusing to walk anywhere.
- Styling his hair before leaving the house.
- Needing a certain amount of kisses (that includes on the end of a text message or email).
Insisting upon living in a spotless home.
- Only eating at fancy restaurants, drinking fine wine, or staying in 4-or 5-star hotels.
- Refusing to do outdoor activities such as camping.
- Drinking only bottled water.
- Asking for a present at least once a week.
It's also possible that guys have always been this high maintenance but those traits were socialized out of them through pop culture's promoting alpha archetypes.
Whatever the reason, bring on the man-tervention!
More on Yahoo! Shine:
10 Compliments Men Hate Getting
3 Words He Never Wants to Hear You Say
10 Ways to Ruin Your Relationship