"To see if Coke really worked, Anderson, Umpierre and Hill mixed four different types of Coke with sperm in test tubes. A minute later, all sperm were dead in the Diet Coke, but 41 percent were still swimming in the just-introduced New Coke (The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 313, p. 1351). But that's not good enough, Anderson warns. Sperm "can make it into the cervical canal, out of reach of any douching solution, in seconds"--faster than anyone could shake and apply a bottle of Diet Coke." (Source)However, another group of scientists replied with "Oh no you di'int!" and reported the converse. Just the same, kind of makes you want to rethink your 2 p.m. caffeine and Nutrasweet fix, doesn't it?
Forget Diet Coke, here's why you need to choose your contraception carefully!
MORE FROM ELASTIC WAIST AND SELF:
- The beginning of a beautiful relationship with food
- SELF'S Most Inspiring Women of 2008!
- Check out the top movers, shakers and history makers of 2008
- 10 ways to save money by eating more eggs
- Subscribe to SELF for Just a $1.00 an issue and get a free pink striped tote!