Can men and women really just be friends?It's that age-old question: can men really be just friends with women? What happens when platonic turns to perverse?
We questioned men and women of all ages and backgrounds to get their take on whether guys can really have a relationship with a girl, that doesn't involve sex.
1. Dr. Soroya Bacchus, 51: "While men and women can be friends, it is difficult for the relationship to be entirely platonic. Our genetics simply drive our attraction to the opposite sex! The likelihood that at least one party is drawn to the other sexually is very high, regardless of whether or not anything ever comes of it. This is the reason jealousy and infidelity exists; we are not wired to be a monogamous species."
Dr. Soroya Bacchus, 51, Psychiatrist
2. John Powers, 29: "Men and women often think they are nothing but friends, when in reality one person's mind or the other is thinking more. They may never share this information with their friend, but there is always that feeling that one of these days we're going to get a little tipsy and make-out."
John Powers, 29, Stand Up Comic and Relationship Columnist
3. Angel Lutin, 38: "I have many guy friends. They are my friends because they all started out as guys that wanted to date me or sleep with me. If you have an unattached female and male, I think sexual tension is always there. Typically the reasons they are "friends" is because one of them doesn't want more. I mean, if you get along enough to hang out, have dinners, talk on the phone, that's a big part of a relationship, right?"
Angela Lutin, 38, Flywheel Instructor and Blogger, EssentiallyAngela.com
4. Lindsley Lowell, 42: "Men and women cannot be friends with someone they are attracted to, and unfortunately, most men are attracted to almost every woman so the idea that they can be friends without thoughts of sex is ridiculous. Being friends in group activities is fine. I would get worried if your guy was off doing one-on-one stuff with a woman. That's called a date."
Lindsley Lowell, 42, Author of My Knight in Shining Armor is Coming, He's Just Stuck in Traffic
RELATED: How to Tell if He's "The One"
5. Stefan Pinto, 40: "No, it isn't possible, especially if the woman is single. Women always do the 'match up' first for their criteria and, if not, for one of her bffs. It doesn't matter how long the woman knows the man; if he is good looking, smart, charming, resourceful, courageous, adventurous, and gainfully employed, she. will. always. wonder. what. it. would. be. like. to. be. married. to. him. Period."
Stefan Pinto, 40, Model/Writer
To see what more men and women have to say about being friends, click here!
What do you guys think? Can men and women really just be friends?