When you're single, it can be hard to maintain a positive outlook on dating and relationships, especially if there's been some time since your last boyfriend. But-believe it or not-singlehood is awesome, and what better way to remind singles of that than National Singles week?!
Yup, National Unmarried and Single Americans week kicked off this year on September 18th and goes through the 24th. What started in Ohio during the 1980s to celebrate "single life and recognize singles and their contributions to society" is now widely observed every third full week of September.
12. Travel. Whether it be across the state or across the country, use this week to venture somewhere you've never been before. It's a great opportunity for you to clear your head as well as find yourself, not to mention an opportunity to experience something completely new and different.
11. Volunteer. It's always great to help those in need and helping others isn't only a chance to gain some perspective, but it's also a chance to meet new people.
10. Visit friends and family. It's no secret that a relationship can occupy your time so, while you're a free agent, schedule in as much friend and family time as possible, especially since they are the ones who are always going to be there for you.
9. Find a hobby. Now that you have more time for yourself, find something to do that challenges you creatively, whether it be a cooking class, learning a foreign language, a DIY project or guitar lessons.
8. Hit the gym. Feeling down about being single? Work out! Not only does exercise release endorphins, but a daily gym routine helps keep you in shape and can help boost your self-esteem. You can up the ante with classes, i.e., boot camp and pilates.
7. Go out dancing. Piggybacking off of our gym idea, dancing is another exercise that releases endorphins and, according to The Frisky, "dancing is the perfect way to get your adrenaline up and make the most of the money you've spent on booze."
6. Be bad. This one comes right from AskMen and their list of things to do when you're single. According to them, singles should "do things that will make you feel young and slightly carefree." Sometimes a relationship can require you to "tame up a bit so when you are single, go crazy; it's debauchery time."
5. Do you. Literally. The Frisky suggests going to Babeland, picking up a new toy and taking part in some me time. They say "a masturbation technique you've never tried before will be like taking on another lover, one guaranteed to bend to your whim!"
4. Wear something sexy. And don't wear it for anyone but yourself! Sure, it's great to dress up for a partner, but it feels good to dress up for ourselves, too. So we're thinking lace panties, a little black dress and anything else that'll remind you that you don't need a man to feel sexy.
3. Revel in reality TV. Or Rom-Coms or the pop albums you tuck away when entertaining a potential partner. Since you're not in a relationship, you don't have to compromise your TV or radio time so watch and listen to whatever you please.
1. Look Ahead. Again, this one comes from AskMen, and it's our favorite idea thus far: live in the moment. You "should live in the moment, take the plunge and seize the opportunities." It's important to take risks, and enjoy being single while you can.
Look out for more awesome singles lists this week and tweet how you celebrate being single @YourTango with #NationalSinglesWeek!
More from YourTango: