In their new book "Love for Grown-ups: The Garter Brides' Guide to Marrying for Life When You've Already Got a Life," the Garter Brides (Ann Blumenthal Jacobs, Tish Rabe and Patricia Ryan Lampl), a sisterhood of girlfriends who wore the same garter at their weddings, have lots of tips for women over forty to meet and marry the man of your dreams, how to have the life you want and the happiness you deserve! Here are their top ten tips:
Write your relationship success story. Find 50+ Singles on BetterDate.com. Join Free Today!
1. Leave the Past in the Past When you meet someone new, leave any negative feelings or past heartbreaks just where they should be- in the past
2. You Won't Meet Someone New in Your Living Room. Well, maybe a cute guy will deliver your new sofa, but chances are you're going to meet someone by getting out there and trying new things- online dating, taking a class, etc. Tell everyone, especially your married friends, that you're looking to meet someone and ALWAYS go to parties. Because you truly never know.
3. Give the Guy a Chance. When you were twenty your list was 'he must be tall, dark and handsome." Try going against type. It just might be a perfect fit.
4. Look at Blind Date like a First Date. Two of the authors of our book met their husbands on blind dates, and you can too! If you're not sure you want to sit in a noisy restaurant, go out and do something fun. One of our Garter Brides went to a baseball game, and she and her date each brought a friend. They had a blast and got married one year later.
5. Time is on Your Side. Take your time in getting to know your guy and don't feel in a rush to meet his children or have him meet yours. It starts with the two of you. Make sure this is someone you want in your life.
6.Isn't it Romantic? Just because you're meeting the love of your life later in life doesn't mean you can't still have passionate, amazing sex! The Garter Brides say "Go for it!"
7 .Someone to Come Home To. When you're ready to move in together you will discover how wonderful it is to come home to the one you love. Be prepared for some give and take-for example, over which of each other's belongings stay or go.
8. What's Up with a Pre-nup? Remember that writing a pre-nup isn't because you think your marriage isn't going to work- it's so you get to decide how your assets and everything you've worked for can be protected.
9. Your Wedding Your Way. Now you're in love and it's time to have your wedding exactly how you want it. The Garter Brides have had all kinds of weddings! Remember it is all about you and the man of your dreams. Whatever you want is the way to go.
10. Happily Ever After Can Happen to You. Remember what the Garter Brides always say: "It's never too late to find true love. We did, and you can too!'
Click here to order "Love for Grown-ups: The Garter Brides' Guide to Marrying for Life When You've Already Got a Life."
Also Popular On ThirdAge: