There are many benefits to decorating with mirrors, which we have discussed time and time again. In general, mirrors help to give the illusion of a larger space, reflect light, and enhance an attractive view. Speaking in terms of Feng Shui decorating, mirrors do all of these things and more. Here we'll discuss how to use mirrors for good Feng Shui.
What is Feng Shui?
If you were searching for ways to decorate with mirrors, and have stumbled across this article by accident, you may be wondering what Feng Shui is all about. It is an ancient Chinese art that involves the placement of objects in a way that invites good energy in, and shuts bad energy out. It is said that by placing the objects in your home harmoniously, you will create a balance that will promote good fortune, good health, and financial well-being.
Mirrors and Feng Shui
When translated, the words Feng Shui mean wind and water. Mirrors represent the element of water. When positioned properly, mirrors can be a powerful tool in Feng Shui decorating. They are symbolic of one's self image and clarity of the mind, thus they should always be kept clean and clear.
How to use mirrors for good Feng Shui
In Feng Shui, mirrors are powerful tools that can be used to push back negative energy when positioned properly in the home. To improve health and family, place the mirror to the East. To bring financial wealth, place the mirror to the Southeast. To see success in your career, place it to the North. Avoid placing a mirror to the South as this is the fire element, a sharp contrast to the water element that mirrors represent.
Avoid using mirrors in these ways
In the same way that there is positive placement in Feng Shui, there is also negative placement. Mirrors should not be used in the following ways:
- Don't place a mirror facing your bed. It is said the mirror will duplicate relationships, causing infidelity. It's also said to deplete your energy as you sleep.
- Don't hang two mirrors facing one another.
- Don't reflect the front door with a mirror. Good energy will be reflected back outside the home.
- Don't hang a mirror so high that you can't see your entire head. This may bring about a negative self image.
- Don't place mirrors or mirrored tiles in the kitchen where flames will be reflected. Remember, mirrors represent water and fire is a sharp contrast. Flames can be a negative symbol.
More from Jennifer Wagner: