By Charlotte Hilton Andersen, REDBOOK
Twice a year (we won't discuss how ridiculous I find this) my children and I have our Picture Day Ritual. This involves me completely forgetting that it's Picture Day, while my kids somehow find their most hideous, strange, and bizarre outfits on the one day their little fashion-forward selves become immortalized in their class pictures. So, in the spirit of helping other harried parents out, I've complied a list of the 10 worst outfits your child can wear on Picture Day. (Of course, this whole plan requires that you remember it's Picture Day, which I've already proven unable to do. Learn from my mistakes, friends.)
Related: 3 Ways to Ease Back-to-School Panic
1. Swimsuits. My son wore his red-and-black swim trunks, orange plaid button-down, and brown bucket hat with a glow-in-the-dark lizard. In my defense, the swim trunks looked like shorts to this frazzled mom.
2. Costumes. My other son insisted on wearing his Batman costume to Kindergarten one day. I figured, "Hey, if it gets him through the door, then fine!" That Picture Day was especially interesting.
3. Same Shirt Each Year. "My parents finally noticed that my brother hadn't grown in three years when they compared his 6th, 7th, and 8th grade photos. He was wearing the exact same shirt each year!" -Becky
4. Orthodontic Accessories. "I wore a giant bow across my forehead that matched my red, white, and blue braces." -Becky
5. Funny Shirts. "On Picture Day, I accidentally sent my son to school in a shirt that say 'Dirt Magnet'! At least it was honest?" -Alyssa
6. Holiday Attire. "I let my son wear an old Halloween shirt to school, never mind that it was spring Picture Day." -Sierra
7. Seasonally-Inaccurate Garb. While spring can feel like winter where I live, I chuckle when I see the picture of my son wearing his favorite elbow mittens and matching wool hat-in May.
Related: 17 5-Minute Marriage Makeovers
8. Do-It-Yourself Hair. "I let my 8-year-old daughter do her own hair. There was both a headband and a bow involved. And only the front of her hair got brushed." -Laura
9. Pajamas. I wish I could say this never happened, but it definitely did.
10. "Unique" Accessories. "I wore a large, silver horse belt buckle tucked nicely beneath my sweater. Unfortunately, it looked like I had a tumor or something beneath it!" -ShannonWhat's the funniest thing your kid (or even you) wore in a school picture?
More from REDBOOK:
Have Vacation Sex...In Your Own House
5 Flattering Jeans For Each Body Type
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.