Spice Up Your RelationshipThanks to the best-selling erotic novel "50 Shades of Grey," women around the country are doing more than just turning the book's pages - they're looking to turn the heat up in their bedrooms, as well. Whether you're taking inspiration from E.L. James's titillating trilogy or just feeling a little bit frisky, a lukewarm sex life can easily be a complaint of the past. With just a little bit of effort and an open, positive attitude, you can take your sex life to a whole new level.
1. Say Farewell to the Flat-Screen
It's time to take the television off the wall and out of your bedroom so you and your partner can be each other's primetime entertainment. Rather than zoning out to the latest reality show, de-stress with your spouse by offering him a massage or simply lighting a candle and trying to unwind in bed without outside distractions. You'll be surprised what of night focusing on each other can lead to.
2. Send a Not-So-Subtle Message Sending racy text messages (otherwise known as "sexting") is the foreplay of the 21st century. Discreet and slightly naughty, this playful game can be done in the boardroom or grocery store alike, turning even the most humdrum daily occurrence into an opportunity to be fun, flirty and clever. The best thing about a little daytime sexting is it really builds your anticipation and desire for a night between the sheets.
Related: 7 New Date Night Ideas
3. Turn up the Heat...Literally
Don't let fleece PJ's and layers of blankets get between you and your partner. Keeping your bedroom temperature on the warmer side can help muscles relax, thereby putting you in a less tense, more sexual mood. Get 4. Slip into Something 'Less' Comfortable
After a hard day at work or running after the kids, it's tempting to throw on an old T-shirt and drawstring pants, and call it a night. But just like having a fourth piece of chocolate, you must resist the temptation! Instead, reach for a nightgown or negligee made from silk or satin - this simple transformation will make you feel sexy and feminine. And if you're in the mood, it's a safe bet that your partner will be, too.5. Slow Down
Don't always race to the finish line. It's less about "doing it" to get done and more about enjoying each other's company in the process. Expert say that extra time spent on foreplay will increase your arousal and will ultimately make for a more gratifying experience. After all, the saying does go, "the best things come to those who wait."
Related: 10 Kisses You've Never Tried
6. Make the Effort
How many times have you put off spending alone time with your spouse because you're too tired, or the laundry still needs to be folded, or you want to finish up just a little more work before bed? It's always easier to put it off, but by making a point to enjoy some quality one-on-one time with your hubby, you're showing him - and yourself! - that you value his company. It can be something as formal as a standing date with your partner every month, or something as simple as a half-hour cuddle session once a week; whatever route you take, all roads will lead you to a deeper, stronger emotional - and physical! - connection.
7. Learn a New Skill Whether it's learning the art of massage or working out to a dance DVD, acquiring an unexpected skill can build confidence as well as be sexually liberating. This is mutually beneficial, too, as you will relish in your new found courage and feel more in control of your wants and desires, while your husband will be more than happy to be the recipient of your stellar moves.
8. Play the Part Have you always wanted to dress up as a cheeky French maid? Does your hubby secretly want to get hot and heavy in the hot tub? You won't know until you discuss! Being in touch with one another's desires builds intimacy and trust. Both men and women have their share of fantasies, so why not let them play out in real life? Put all preconceived notions aside, and embrace the unknown. His fantasies might even become yours.
Related: 8 Surprising Secrets of Successful Marriages
Get sweaty together9. Get Sweaty Together
Whether you're going for a run, heading to the tennis court or chasing the dog around the backyard, breaking a sweat together can get you both ready for some off-the-court action. Exercise stimulates the production of dopamine, which increases sex drive. It also produces feel-good hormones known as endorphins, elevating your mood and enhancing blood flow to some key body parts. Endorphins are also said to boost confidence, making post-workout sex all the more likely.
10. Feed Your Appetites
If the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, then it's not so absurd to think that you can reach his other body part the same way. Spicy foods like hot chilies contain capsaicin, which gets the blood pumping, making nerve endings much more receptive. Other known aphrodisiacs include oysters, which have been linked to elevated sex drive; salmon, which can optimize the production of sex hormones; and pine nuts, which were used in ancient love potions because of their positive effects on the libido. Just make sure to save room for dessert - to be served at the table or in the bedroom!
- By Samantha Jonas-Hain
More from Good Housekeeping:
- 12 Makeup Mistakes That Make You Look Old
8 Steps To A Successful Marriage
Best Anti-Aging Beauty Products
- Find The Best Shampoo and Conditioner For You
- 5 Best Haircuts of All Time