I will never be Martha Stewart. Nope, my house will never be spotless or featured in a magazine spread, and I will never spend hours baking things from scratch (that's what boxed cake is for) or MacGyvering crafts out of shoe laces.
But you know what? I am totally fine with that. Being less than perfect and having a house that looks like people actually live in it gives me more time to spend on the really important things in life. Like sitting on the floor and playing with my kids, taking them on little trips near and far, and basically just enjoying them while they still want to hang out with me.
So for all you moms out there who aren't perfect, read these 10 confessions from a semi-slacker mom (I have my good days, too), and know that you're not alone. And if I left anything out, let me know.
1. For bake sales and pot lucks, I've purchased store-bought treats, taken them out of the packaging and then re-wrapped them to look like they came out of my kitchen.
2. When my kids fall asleep in the car after a long day, I don't bother waking them up to shower or brush their teeth. That's what wet wipes are for, and I just brush their teeth the next day. Hey, neither of them have cavities.
3. My go-to birthday and holiday gift idea? Gift cards. No one has complained yet.
4. Sometimes I do this for alone time and tell the kids I'm doing "Number 2".
5. The front of my house is always clean…just in case we have visitors. I just don't take them to the back of the house, where it usually looks like Toys 'R' Us just blew up.6. I secretly wish we could order take-out every night or had enough money for a personal chef. And a live-in maid would be nice.
7. Two words: ear plugs.
8. On weekends, the entire family stays in PJs unless we go somewhere or have company.
9. When my husband or kids catch me visiting gossip sites or shopping on-line, I tell them I'm doing research for work. Half the time it's true.
10. If all else fails, I do what the image above says. Instead of cleaning the house, I just turn off the lights...or close the door.Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.