How many of you have said something so awful to your kids that you immediately wished you could take it back? You know, like when you're at your wit's end and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind without thinking how it could make your child feel? What sorts of things am I talking about? How about starting with these 10 things you should never say to your kid.
1. I wish I never had you. Yes, there are times when you might wish for those easy, pre-kid days, but there's no need to say it out loud. Imagine how you would feel if your kid told you he wished for another mom. Ouch, right?
2. Why can't you be more like [enter name here]? I'm guilty of this one, and it's so easy to do. I have to remind myself every day that my kids are completely different and that they're going to do things their own way.
3. Shut up. This one makes me cringe. There are gentler, more polite ways to tell your kid to be quiet.
4. You're so stupid. This one needs no explanation. If it does, then maybe you're stupid. Not very nice, is it?
5. I give up. You don't give up on your kids. Period. But if it's your kid's homework that's making you want to give up, that's another thing. Hint: you can always Google it.6. I hate you, too. You can have a great relationship like this, but there might be times when you just don't get along. But just because your kid says "I hate you" first, doesn't make it OK for you to say it back.
7. Just go away. There will come a point in time when you're begging your kids to hang out with you. Why push them away now? So if you need a few minutes, how about asking them politely to come back when you're ready.
8. You're fat or ugly. With all the eating disorders we're seeing with kids at a younger age, we should be instilling in our kids a positive self-image, not a negative one.
9. I don't care. What's important to your kid might not be as important to you, but you can fake it.
10. Your turn. Add your two cents in the comments below.
And while we have you, find out the top 5 things you should never say to a mom.
More like this: 10 Places You Should Never Take Your Kids
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.