15 Reasons Why Moms Are BeautifulWithout a rolling introduction, I'm just going to get straight to the goods here. Because we mothers, we need a list like this. One to refer to as often as need be. This motherhood journey is the hardest, most beautiful, nerve-wracking thing we'll ever do. Now pour a cup of whatever you fancy and break off a hunk of dark chocolate from your fridge (I hope you always keep some on hand!) and wrap your brain and heart around each and every one of these 15 reasons why moms are beautiful.
1. You are beautiful when you are disgusted and afraid to do something, like tackle a blowout, or wipe down the poo-painted walls in the nursery. Or scoop poo from the bathtub. Basically any dealings with poo? You are brave, momma. You are beautiful.
2. If you string a sentence of words together while drooling, loosing your train of thought mid-sentence, or using misplaced adjectives, congratulations. You are a hot-mess, beautiful, sleep deprived momma. And you are beautiful.
3. Answering all of those 'Why?' questions. You know the constant, 'Why momma, why?' questions, makes you patiently beautiful. Sating your little(s) curiosity, even when you make stuff up because you might just blow your gasket - is beautiful.
4. Your legs? You know, the ones that may sag more than they did before? Or a varicose vein here and there has reared its naughty head(s)? Or the cellulite that no magical cream will ever erase? (So stop wasting your money people!) They are BEAUTIFUL. They really, truly, are. Same goes for your boobs and your belly. Stretch marks, ravaged nipples, what have you. Those are the peaks and the valleys of your journey in motherhood. They arc and bloom. Not sag and whither. That's how it really is. Beautiful.
Related: 5 tips to make returning to work easier for new moms
5. You are especially beautiful when you rock out so hard to Sho & The Monkey Bunch, or Sharon Lois & Bram, or Yo Gabba Gabba. Whatever. You are the hottest mom on the block, on your street, in your town, no doubt.
6. Beauty is belly laughing with your baby when they giggle at what others may think are the piddliest of things. You mean she rolled her tongue at you over and over again, spit flying everywhere? Hilarious! This exchange, your laugher feeding your babies soul, is beautiful.
7. Beauty is the power and conviction in which you protect your children. No one knows strong like a momma bear.
8. Beauty is wearing an outfit so FIERCE, (not jersey-style trollop) that when you wear it, all of those hang-ups you have about your rocking mom bod (which is beautiful no matter what anyways, haven't you been listening?) melt away - with each and every step out the door, leaving your babies with a babysitter for the night. Oh, that is so dang sexy. I can't even begin to describe it to you. Wait, what are we talking about here? A sexy outfit or hiring a babysitter? Both. Because I know you're not rocking heels whilst baby-wearing. Most of us anyways.
Related: 10 power foods to keep moms energized throughout the day
9. Humour. There is nothing more powerful and beautiful than humour (dark humour must also become your friend) during these early years. Seeing the humour in things instead of getting all stressed out all the time is a very beautiful attribute to have. See that haggard, huffing, puffing, frustrated momma over there? She's drop dead gorgeous, said no one. Ever.
10. Respecting other mommas, other parents and their decisions is undeniably beautiful. In fact, it is so gosh darn beautiful that rarely ever is it achieved. But still. Something to think about.
11. Beauty is your hometown. Your roots. You own it, you've got it, you were born with it. Your beauty has evolved and grown and much like a living organism; it breathes, it cries, it laughs, it waits - patiently, for you to embrace and recognize it.
12. The contours of your face, the sprinkles by your eyes, the lines on either side of your mouth, are beautiful. This face of yours, it shines most especially, free and clear of make-up. First thing in the morning, dark circles and all. Oh, who am I kidding? The face of exhaustion is but a mere few mug-fulls of coffee, dabs of concealer and cheek rouge and swipe of tinted lip balm away.
Related: 5 things I wish I knew before becoming a mom
13. It is beautiful thing to know when to ask for help. Hire help. Work from home. Stay at home. Work out of the home. Whatever your scene. Hire a nanny, hire a house-cleaner. Delegate. Beauty is not taking on a roll of intense martyrdom as a mother. Well, mostly. I'm not talking about Mother Tereasa, I'm talking about you.
14. Beauty is having faith in your partner's capability to parent.
15. Beauty is trusting your partner as a parent and a partner.
- By Selena Burgess
Follow Selena on Disney Baby
MORE ON DISNEY BABY
10 encouraging baby quotes every mom-to-be should read
15 things ALL parents need to stay sane throughout the day
5 tips to make returning to work easier for new moms
12 reasons why moms can't get enough of baby feet
10 things only new parents understand
Stay connected. Follow Disney Baby on Facebook and Twitter.