By Charlotte Hilton Andersen, REDBOOKmusical chairs
"Oh, sit!" is a new show coming out on the CW that is being described as "musical chairs for adults." At first I was dubious. How entertaining would it be to watch grown-ups walk in a circle to "Here we go 'round the mulberry bush"? But then I remembered recently watching a kindergartner hurl a chair across the room after he was butt-scooched out by another kid and realized the genius of turning a classic kid's game into a reality show.
Related: 8 Mommy Apps I'd Actually Pay For
I don't want to brag or anything but considering I just chaired the games committee (committee of one, ahem) for my kindergartner's holiday party, I'm kind of an expert on musical chairs. There are only two things involved in this game-the music and the chairs-and both have the potential for high entertainment value. In addition to chair chucking, you can also expect chair stealing, chair toppling and my personal favorite, the appearance of imaginary chairs. For the music I suggest they play classic kid's tunes but add the challenge of making the adults answer inane questions while running in a circle. "Mom, what's a mulberry?" "When the weasel goes 'pop!' does that mean he's dead or wants a drink?" "Is the monkey going to use the thread and needle to sew the weasel's lips shut because he won't stop calling him potty words?"
Related: 75 Most Iconic Hairstyles of All Time
See? Fun! I can think of other children's games that would make for great TV:
1. The Economy is Falling Down! Sung to the tune of London Bridge but rather than "lock them up" have the onlookers just throw money at them.
2. Sag. Played like "tag" except the person who is it, has to poke something that is sagging on the other person. I see great tie-in potential with Dr. 90210.
3. House. Remember how fun it was to play house as a kid when you had unlimited (imaginary) resources and very few scruples? The adult version would be just like that except... oh, wait, we already have that show thanks to the Kardashians.
What kid's game would you like to see turned into a game show? Anyone else kind of interested to see how grown-up musical chairs turns out?
More from REDBOOK:
Gifts For Your Favorite Girls
4 Sexy Celeb Party Looks for Less
- 56 Things That Matter Most in Love
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Eat to Beat Your Health Problems
Permissions: Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.