As much as we look forward to the weekend, it can fly by faster than there is time to read the Sunday paper. Try these tips to make the most of days off with your family.
1. Don't ignore the warm body next to you: "The best gift you can give your kids is a strong marriage," says relationship therapist Laura Berman, Ph.D., host of the OWN show In the Bedroom With Dr. Laura Berman. "So why not set the alarm clock for 20 minutes of alone time?" If you're thinking, Um, I'd rather be sleeping, at least "cuddle in bed for five minutes before starting your day," Berman says.
Related: Should You Invade Your Kid's Online Privacy?
2. Put "hang out" on the calendar-in Sharpie: "Research links family leisure time with emotional bonding," says Eli Karam, Ph.D., president-elect of the Kentucky Association for Marriage & Family Therapy. "Blocking out three hours together even one Saturday a month can keep you in sync."
3. Ditch the cruise-director act: You've had breakfast - now what? "The most fun activities come about in the moment," Karam says. There's nothing wrong with throwing the gang a few options, but everyone should have a vote, and try to stifle the urge to Get Things Done. A rousing game of Bananagrams? Building the best sofa-fort known to man? Sounds pretty great to us!
Related: 10 Things Never to Say to a Working Mom
4. Know when it's time to go: All this said, if you stay in your pj's too long, you risk an ugly case of cabin fever. The best way to avoid inertia is to fill your travel mug with coffee and grab some fresh air, says Rebecca Cohen, author of 15 Minutes Outside. "If your kids are little, take them on a walk around the block to collect rocks," she says. If they're older, have a "walk and talk" session where you plan the rest of your day...on foot.
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.