It's starting to feel a lot like summer in Los Angeles. For kids, summer marks that special time of year where they trade in school uniforms for swimsuits and homework for lots and lots of free time. With so much extra time on their hands, kids can easily start bouncing off the walls with excitement or there's-nothing-to-do-syndrome. If you need a few ideas to keep the little ones entertained during these long, lazy summer months, check out our comprehensive list of summertime activities below.
3. Feed your kids need for everything plane, train, and automobile with a memorable transportation adventure.
4. Bet you didn't know that Los Angeles has its own secret garden. This hidden getaway has its own storytime, train rides, and nature walks.
5. Give your usual play spots a break and check out a new outdoor venue.
6. Bust out the helmets and training wheels for summertime bike ride. Not only will it get your kids outdoors, but they'll love going fast.
7. Let the little ones explore their artistic and scientific side at one of the area's greatchildren's museums.
8. Check out a free museum that'll have your kids searching for clues then step outside for seriously stunning views of downtown.
baby in field9. Stroll through an outdoor oasis filled with themed gardens, fairytale bridges, and a tea room.
10. Take a break from the zoo and check out a different wildlife encounter that's anything but ordinary.
11. Summertime is perfect for a barbeque. Head to the farmers market and plan a family feast.
12. With all the hype from the upcoming Olympics, get your little one in on all the action for their own Olympic achievements.
13. There's only one spot in L.A. where you can find warm sand, fun rides, and cotton candy as big as your head.
kids playing in park14. Take your kiddos out for a family camping trip. Worried about being too far from home? This local park solves that problem.
15. It'll be hard to keep your little one's feet on the ground when their imagination takes flight.
16. Trying to entertain the kiddos on a budget? We've got a few solutions to maximize the fun without breaking your wallet.
17. Relive the magic of being a kid and share the joy with your own at theseperennial family favorite attractions
18. With such beautiful weather, there's nothing like packing up a meal to go andheading outdoors for a family picnic.
19. Summer is perfect for enjoying America's pastime and is the perfect family outing.
20. If your kids love to don their conductor's caps then they'll go off the rails for these transportation attractions.
kid playing cymbals21. If the summer heat is getting to you and it's too unbearable to be outdoors, stay inside and cool off with a classic homemade summer treat.
22. If you're thinking if catching a flick but the kiddos can't sit still in the theater, check out this awesome alternative.
23. Hiking, fishing, shopping, and wine tasting all within walking distance? Sign us up!
24. Just a few blocks away from Muscle Beach is a well kept L.A. secret. Exploring this hidden neighborhood is the perfect afternoon activity.
25. Step behind the scenes with your kiddos and experience the magic of cinema.
kids feet26. Get lost in the local flora and fauna without having to venture far from the city. With historic buildings and tons of wildlife, you won't want to forget your camera.
27. Head to the wilderness for paddle boat trips, wildlife encounters, and family fun that'll have you planning your next family vacation.
28. Just because your little ones are too small to walk doesn't mean they can't enjoy the outdoors too.
29. Here's a quick family day trip to a town that celebrates summer with music, wine, and even a lavender festival.
30. Spend the day playing tourist. Don't miss all the sights and sounds at the heart of the city.
31. Food just seems to taste better when you get to eat it with your hands. Here's a few spots to chow down next time you're out and about in the city.
32. Get exploring in a neighborhood that's full of culture, food, and fun.
nature hike33. Set up camp atop a seaside bluff and cruise about on the local ferry to explore this kid-friendly island.
34. What little kid doesn't like animals? Luckily, Los Angeles has its fair share of places for your little ones to see their favorite animals like never before.
35. Take a break from the city life and slow things down by taking a rustic trip with the fam.
36. Part history, part attraction makes this local hotspot a favorite for Los Angeles kids.
37. Your kids will be licking their lips after tasting strudel and pancakes at this quaint little town.
38. This local park is a sure fire way to keep the kiddos entertained all day. They'll love the chance to ride a real pony too.
39. Call up your girlfriends and grab a quick bite to eat without having to worry aboutkeeping the little ones entertained.
40. It's never too early to get your kids excited about music. Try some classes that will have them tapping their toes and clapping their hands.
kids in park41. Whether they want to be a superhero, a chef, or even a jedi, there's a summer camp that's perfect for your kiddo.
42. Need something sweet to ward off the summer heat? Indulge in something cold and creamy at a local parlor.
43. Hit the beach with your four-legged companion.
44. Put the pedal to the metal and watch your kids' eyes go wide with excitement.
45. Take the night off from watching the kids and make it a ladies night.
46. Stay cool while watching sharks, fish, and other sea creatures swim overheadthat are sure to impress your whole fam.
kid stomp47. Escape the city hustle and bustle and stop to smell the roses (literally).
48. Try a camping trip that includes a special treat that's great for families and kids. Before you know it, they'll be begging you to take them camping again.
49. Try something out of the ordinary this summer and have a little mommy time without having to ditch your little ones with the sitter.
50. Need to get out of town for the day? Get out of town without venturing too far beyond the city.