By GALTime Consumer Watchdog Mary Schwager
Mothers rejoice, back to school time is here...or right around the corner! While you're shopping for clothes, supplies and even sporting goods, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) wants to remind you to keep safety in mind. It created a 'back to school safety checklist" and urges you to check it out.
CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum says, "It just takes a moment for a child to be seriously injured or killed. Check what your child is wearing to make sure there are no drawstrings. Make sure they wear a helmet that meets CPSC requirements if they ride their bike to school. Check your school's playground and soccer goals. The moment you take could save a child's life."
Here's the CPSC's "Back to School Safety Checklist":
- My child wears a helmet that meets CPSC requirements every time he/she bikes or rides a scooter to and from school.
My child's helmet fits snuggly, level on top of the head, with a buckled chinstrap.
None of my child's outerwear clothing has drawstrings at the hood or neck area.
- I checked with my school's officials to make sure that the school's playground equipment has been inspected and maintained.
- There are at least nine inches of shock absorbing surface material around my school's playground equipment.
Movable Soccer Goals
All soccer goals are securely anchored while in use.
- I have checked CPSC's Web site: www.cpsc.gov, to make sure all back to school purchases and previously owned items have not been recalled.
- I have signed up at www.cpsc.gov to have email alerts of CPSC recall announcements that interest me sent directly to my email inbox.
More Back-To-School from GALTime.com