A must-have for any bookworm.Bookworms young and old will get a kick out of this Mickey Mouse bookmark. Ideal as a party or classroom craft for kids, the finished item will come in handy again and again. Trying to get your son or daughter to spend more time with a book? Place the bookmark inside a tome with the goal of reaching Mickey each night. Fun and functional - oh, boy!
What You'll Need
Extra jumbo (1 inch wide) or jumbo (3/4 inch wide) wooden craft stick
Red acrylic paint
Template for Mickey Bookmark
Cardstock (white and black)
Black permanent marker (fine-tipped and regular-tipped)
Glue sealer, such as Mod Podge® and a small foam brush (optional)
2 mini white buttons or white beads
1. Paint the jumbo craft stick red, and set it aside to dry.
2. Meanwhile, print the template on a sheet of white cardstock. Cut out the face/head piece and color in the eyes, nose, outer face, and ears with black marker, as shown. Go over the mouth line with the fine-tipped marker as well. Use the head backing template piece to cut out a matching shape from black cardstock.
3. Use the shirt template piece to cut out a matching shape from black cardstock. Wrap and glue the black shirt around the top of the craft stick, as shown, with the overlap on the back of the stick.
4. Glue the face/head piece to the top of the stick so that the chin is about ¼-inch above the lower edge of the shirt. Then glue the head backing to the back of the face/head, sandwiching the stick top between them and matching up all the edges.
5. Brush a protective coat of glue sealer on both sides of the bookmark, if you like. This will also give it a little sheen. For the finishing touch, use dabs of tacky glue to attach two mini buttons to the stick right below the shirt.
-By Cindy Littlefield