By Nicole Nichols, Managing Editor and Fitness Expert at SparkPeopleThe holiday season is rapidly approaching, and many people will take to the sky to visit family and friends. Despite appearances-a plethora of fast foods, snacks and lots of sitting around-flights and airports offer plenty of nutritious food and opportunity for activity, if you know where to look.
- Make sure everyone eats a healthy meal before you arrive. You'll be less likely to munch on high-calorie snacks just because they're around or you're bored.
- If eating in an airport, it's worth it to spend the time seeking out healthy foods. Look for salads, fresh fruit, vegetable-based soups, and baked or grilled chicken.
- While trekking through the airport, take every opportunity for extra movement. Use the stairs, pass on the people movers and carry your own luggage.
- Instead of sitting around before boarding the plane, use the time to walk. You'll arrive early enough to fit in 15-20 minutes of walking, so take advantage of it. After all, you're about to sit for an entire flight!
- Call the airline 48 hours in advance to see if a meal is offered. Typical in-flight dinners can have as many calories (more than 1,000) as a fast food meal, and even more fat! Special order a low-fat or vegetarian meal. Or, pack your own lunches to ensure you all get exactly what you want.
- Flying can easily dehydrate you, so drink plenty of water. Drinking one cup per hour in-flight will ward off dehydration and jetlag.
Are you going to be flying over the holidays? What are some of the ways you stay healthy while traveling?
Easy Vacation Exercises
Healthier Ways to Eat When Traveling
The Healthy Vacation Guide