By Nicole Nichols, Managing Editor and Fitness Expert at SparkPeople
If you've heard it once, you've heard it 937 times: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day-for you, and for your kids. You just spent eight hours with no food or water. You're dehydrated, your blood sugar is low and you have little energy. And now it's time to hurry the kids off to school before the eight-hour workday. More so than any other point in the day, you all need nourishment. Breakfast eaters typically cruise until lunch, while beaming with energy.
Scratch those unhealthy breakfasts. Here are some healthy and quick ideas for the whole family:
- Prepare a casserole the night before. Pop it in the microwave when you wake up and it will be ready to go when you are.
- Incorporate complex carbohydrates, such as whole wheat toast and bagels. Spread peanut butter and raisins on top of either for added flavor.
- Bake bran muffins early in the week, and then grab one or two on your way out the door.
- Make waffles Sunday morning and freeze the leftovers. You can pop 'em in the toaster for a homemade breakfast. Also, grocery stores sell frozen whole grain selections.
- Give your kids a fun breakfast tortilla. They can wrap up cold turkey and cheese, grab an apple and be on their way.
- Don't forget cold cereal. Brands such as Wheaties and Cheerios are always good choices, and low in sugar. Top it with low-fat milk.
- Do you love eggs, but worry about their saturated fat content? Eliminate the yolk to slash the ''bad'' stuff while still getting a dose of protein.
Eat Breakfast to Lose Weight
Healthy, Delicious Breakfasts for 300 Calories
Nutrition 101: Breaking the Fast
SparkPeople Fitness Expert Nicole Nichols is an ACE-certified personal trainer and AFAA-certified group fitness instructor. You can learn more about Nicole and her workout DVDs here.