By Charlotte Anderson, REDBOOK
Every morning at our house begins the exact same way: the great shoe hunt.
Despite having perfectly adorable little shoe cubbies with each child's name hand-lettered on their box and despite many, many admonitions from me to put away their shoes, the cubbies remain empty and we've hit the grocery store in mismatched shoes more times than I count.
Why? Because, like my friend Melissa says, "Once you have kids you can never again use the logic 'well it didn't just sprout legs and walk off did it?' when talking about a missing item." Kids have legs. And hands. And a serious penchant for "reorganizing" everything you own. But when a stranger complimented my "quirky cute" shoe choice the other day it made me realize that maybe I'm not fully appreciating my kids.
1. Nothing is ever where you set it down. Including the children.
Silver Lining: Treasure hunt! You might even find those earrings you lost last year too.
2. Loud, emotional outbursts in public.
Silver Lining: Makes your sniffles in the dressing room look downright reasonable.
3. Constant repetition of their favorite song.
Silver Lining: Better than listening to the Lady Gaga song that every radio station plays every 5 minutes.
Related: OMG! Jeans That Slim You Instantly
4. No toilet roll unmolested.
Silver Lining: "Wadding" is more efficient than "folding" anyhow.
5. Who knew dry erase markers are permanent on walls?
Silver Lining: Here's your chance to repaint without having to admit to your husband that the canary yellow was a mistake after all.
6. Orange Crush and birthday cake vomit.
Silver Lining: Jackson Pollock carpet!
7. Sick days.
Silver Lining: Sometimes taking a day off in the middle of the week to eat popsicles and watch TV is just what you need even if you aren't sick.
8. Toddler sprints across the store.
Silver Lining: Now you can skip the gym!
9. Heart stopping near misses.
Silver Lining: Renewed faith in guardian angels.
Related: Weird Signs That He Loves You
10. Being a human Kleenex and constantly having snot on your knees and shoulder.
Silver Lining: People either get that it's your kid or think you are an amazing contortionist.
What annoying thing does your child do that you've been able to find an unexpected silver lining for?
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.