- 24 minutes ago | Comments
Some say that letter writing is dead, but 2013 proved it's very much alive and that personal notes can amuse, inspire, and, yes, enrage millions of readers. In fact, the power of handwritten notes was spotlighted in a controversy over a homophobic message written on a restaurant receipt denying a waitress tip because she was gay. When the incident was revealed as a hoax, waitress Dayna Morales was fired and forced to return donations that had come pouring in from unsuspecting supporters.
Some of Yahoo Shine's most popular stories of the year were about missives and notes that leaked to the Internet, including what might be the most brilliantly sarcastic breakup letter in the history of jilted lovers. The post, Best Break-Up Letter Ever: Ask 'Kelsi' Where Your Stuff Is, touched a nerve with our audience: It received more than 40,000 likes on Facebook and 14,000 comments. Here are more of our favorites. — Sarah B. Weir, Shine Senior Writer
- 1 hour 14 minutes ago | CommentsWho has the time (or $$$) to head to a spa?! Here, Seventeen's Beauty Smarties and top industry experts reveal their best-kept secrets for getting a flawless, refreshed look at home.
- 1 hour 25 minutes ago | CommentsWhen it comes to babies, it is better to keep clothes simple, no fuss and absolutely adorable. Here are 5 holiday pieces that are almost as cute as your baby and will keep him looking dapper this holiday season. -By Lyz Lenz
- 1 hour 16 minutes ago | CommentsThere’s nothing like a seemingly illogical school rule to drive parents nuts — regardless if it affects their own kids or not. Between bizarre clothing bans, unbendable safety policies or kid-shaming edicts about hairstyles, Shine readers were given reason to launch into anti-authority rants again and again in 2013, thanks to school-board head-scratchers of the most frustrating kind.—Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff
- 1 hour 25 minutes ago | CommentsAre you one of those parents who goes full bore with the holiday cheer? Do Christmas decorations cover every square foot of the inside of your home, and is the outside of the house lit up like the Griswold's? If this sounds like you, then you must also love to dress up your child in holiday attire for the ol' Christmas photo or family party. Well, forget the ugly holiday sweater and put your baby in one of these nine, awesome Christmas costumes instead. - By Andrea Wada Davies
- 1 hour 26 minutes ago | CommentsIn 2013, we saw a lot of sweet, modern names (Avery and Mason, anyone?), but also a lot of really terrible names. And while we know that North West is a big offender, it was nowhere near the worst of the bunch. Here are the 15 most cringe-worthy names from the past year. -By Emily Kelley
- 1 hour 19 minutes ago | CommentsMommy — and Daddy — wars were as fierce as ever in 2013, with perhaps no topic bringing out the irate judgments of readers more so than that of various parenting practices. From a wealthy family that slummed it, to breastfeeders and harsh punishers and body flaunters who seemed to anger the world, Shine saw it all this year.—Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff
- 1 hour 23 minutes ago | CommentsSnake massages. Boob glue. $3,000 sweatshirts. Amongst the endless array of stunning, desirable garments and products produced this year, there was also an abundance of creepy, bizarre, and downright shocking items that hit the market. If you think Miley Cyrus's MTV Video Music Awards performance was scandalous, you ain't seen nothing yet. - By Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty
- 1 hour 27 minutes ago | CommentsStylish sweatpants may seem like an oxymoron, but, actually, high-end, embellished sweatshirts were extremely popular this year, and designer men's sweatpants in every material, from colorful leather to camo-print cotton, dominated the runways and retailers this fall. Even more astonishing: the number of people shelling out hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars on them.
"They're totally absurd. It's like tuxedo sweatpants," celebrity stylist and fashion expert Robert Verdi tells Yahoo Shine. So why are they catching on? "I think it's because all boys are just lazy frat boys who don’t want to take a shower. We like anything that makes our lives really easy and comfortable." Stylish sweats are making their way to mass market retailers, but just because they're cozy doesn't mean they're right for everyone. "It depends on the counterpart of what you're wearing — you can look like the slob that rolled out of bed," adds Celebrity stylist June Ambrose agrees that designer sweatpants may seem absurd, but it's all in how you look at it. "Tom Ford sweatpants aren't like sweatpants from the Gap," she tells Yahoo Shine. Ambrose says we can also thank celebrities — who wear expensive sweatpants on stage, on the red carpet, and on their down time — for spawning droves of sweatpants fanatics. "I know he gets in trouble a lot, but Kanye West is wearing them pretty well. Brad Pitt looks good in them. Zac Efron and Scott Disick both look good." Let's take a closer look at the surprising men's fashion trend of 2013. — By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
- 2 hours 2 minutes ago | CommentsSearch for the name “Kate Middleton” online and millions of results will reveal almost everything about the Duchess of Cambridge. Her hair! Her wardrobe! Her pregnancy! The woman couldn’t leave home this year without making headlines. In honor of the royal wife, new mom, and style icon the world loves to love, here are our favorite Middleton moments of 2013. — Elise Sole, Shine Staff
- At Home - 19 minutes ago
- Work + Money - 33 minutes ago
- Healthy Living - 39 minutes ago
- Work + Money - 41 minutes ago
- Healthy Living - 41 minutes ago