- Wed, Feb 26, 2014 8:09 PM EST | CommentsWhat happens when you give preschoolers construction paper, scissors, and tape? For most, it turns into a messy art project, but for little "Mayhem" (a nickname dubbed by her mom), it means creating the most fashionable dresses. While many 4-year-old girls are mesmerized by their sparkly tiaras and pink tutus, Mayhem’s store-bought costumes didn’t pale in comparison to the colorful paper she’d repeatedly wrap herself in. And it didn’t take long for Mayhem’s mother, a blogger identified as "Angie," to notice. Angie soon suggested that they make their own dress-up clothes and the two have put the pedal to the metal (or their hands to the scissors) ever since. “The ideas are pretty much a 50/50 split, but Mayhem constructs a lot more than most people would probably believe,” Angie told the Huffington Post. “She's literally always beside me learning something new if she's not tearing or taping or gluing while I am.” The mother-daughter duo draws inspiration from runways, award shows, movies, and other pop culture happenings. We’ve rounded up our favorite #FashionbyMayhem looks from Angie’s Instagram account. Look out, Tim Gunn — we’ve got a potential "Project Runway" star in our midst. –– Erika Ostroff, Shine Staff
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 4:51 PM EST | Comments
The fastest way to update your wardrobe? A new purse in an of-the-moment shape. Here are the trends I saw on the runways, with options at every price.
By Adam Glassman
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 11:10 AM EST | Commentsby Elana Fishman
We're at the tail end of a jam-packed awards season, with the grand finale-the Oscars, duh-just a few days away. We can't wait to see what our favorite nominees wear-we already know Jennifer Lawrence will step out in a breathtaking Dior, while we hope to see Lupita Nyong'o pick another brilliantly bold monochromatic gown. As for which designer she'll select-Gucci? Ralph Lauren?-that's anyone's guess.
With our pre-Academy Awards anticipation at a boiling point, we thought it a prime time to take a look back at some of the most memorable Oscars looks from years past. Click through to peep some gowns that made a major impact-for better or worse.
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 3:17 PM EST | CommentsKatie Becker
These long-wearing beauties put the "stick" in lipstick
More from W:
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 3:17 PM EST | Commentsby Hillary McDaniels
In the pantheon of glamorous celebrities, nobody shines brighter than Elizabeth Taylor. And it's not simply because the woman was always adorned in the most stunning gems! The violet-eyed bombshell famous for her perfectly coiffed brunette locks, jetsetting lifestyle and eight marriages to seven husbands would have turned 82 today.
In December 2011, less than 10 months after her passing, Christie's auctioned over 200 pieces of Taylor's celebrated jewelry collection. The star-studded event-Kim Kardashian purchased multiple pieces-broke records, bringing in more than $137 million. In total, 26 items sold for over the $1 million mark! And of course, part of the proceeds benefitted the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.
So today, we raise a glass of champagne to you, Miss Taylor! Thanks for teaching us how to hold our heads high and truly shine. In memory of the iconic actress, click through the slideshow above to see Elizabeth Taylor's nine most jaw-dropping jewelry pieces.
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 2:28 PM EST | CommentsA chocolate lab named Rusty didn't just get one new owner when he was adopted, he got a whole facility full of loving people to watch over him!
Sue VanDeRostyne, who runs the Toulon Rehabilitation and Health Care Center in Illinois, found Rusty wandering her sister's backyard in 2008. He had a collar, but no information about his owner.
Sue brought Rusty to the shelter. One week later, Rusty still wasn't adopted, and fearing that he would be put down, she picked him up and took him to the nursing home. He's been there ever since.
Rusty quickly became popular with the residents and brought new life to the nursing home as a therapy dog. "Our facility specializes in Alzheimer's treatment and care," says Michelle Spears, Community Relations Coordinator for the center. "Many of our residents believe Rusty to be their childhood pet and often call him by various names. He just goes along, always ready to offer a warm snuggle."
"His instinct to know when residents may be needing some extra cheering-up is amazing, too," she says. "Overall, Rusty is wonderful 'medicine' for those in our care."
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 3:02 PM EST | CommentsRaise your hand if you got cabin fever last week. If your hand's not raised, I'm guessing you don't live on the East Coast. That doozy of a snowstorm left us trapped at home for the better part of four days. Living in North Carolina has been a big adjustment when it comes to winter weather. In Maryland, we mostly continued about our regularly scheduled lives when it snowed. In the south, everything shuts down. It's not because they're wimps (ok, kind of) but because southern cities aren't prepared for any serious snow removal operations. We often joke we have one plow in our county and consider yourself lucky if it makes it to your neighborhood before the snow melts. Anyway, we were stuck inside for most of last week, and our gym was shut down for a couple of days. That meant it was at-home workout time, but I made one big mistake: I wasn't prepared. Now I'm ready, and I've got these little-to-no equipment workouts in my back corner, ready to go at a moment's notice. Feel free to bookmark them so you don't go crazy with cabin fever during the next snowpocalypse either. -By Heather Neal
MORE ON BABBLE
12 ways to sneak workout time into your day
The best foods to eat before and after a workout
10 fat-burning exercises you can do anywhere
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 12:58 PM EST | CommentsEvery year, Hollywood throws the "biggest party of the year," otherwise known as the Academy Awards. The Oscars are full of glitz, glam, surprises and no-brainers, but among the 24 categories awarded, only one film has the honor of being named "Best Picture." While parents have long been taking baby name inspiration from celebs, Best Picture winning films also feature some Oscar-worthy choices.
-By Emily Kelley
- Thu, Feb 27, 2014 12:59 PM EST | CommentsIs your little one a fan of Disney's Frozen? Throw them the coolest birthday party any time of the year with these Frozen-inspired ideas.
-By Darcy Zalewski
- Wed, Feb 26, 2014 2:40 PM EST | Comments
The Academy Awards are fast approaching on Sunday, and my hopes for truly amazing fashion moments on the red carpet are building each day. (With a nominee roster including Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, and Lupita Nyong'o, there's got to be some, right?) But if this year's leading ladies aren't sure of what to wear, I've got some suggestions. Here, my wardrobe wish list for Hollywood's favorite leading ladies.
BY DANIELLE PRESCOD