- Mon, May 6, 2013 2:31 PM EDT | Comments
It's not as if it's not awkward enough when you forget to send your mom a card on Mother's Day. Or you forget that she hates lilies and get her a big bunch of them. Or somehow she ends up washing the dishes after brunch or throwing something together for the family dinner because everyone was too tapped out after cooking brunch. For some families on Mother's Day, the awkward gets elevated to a whole new level. And seemingly on purpose. After looking at these awkward Mother's Day photos (from, who else, but Awkward Family Photos) you should run home on Sunday, May 12 and tell the mom in your life that it could always be worse. Click through for 7 cringe-worthy Mother's Day photos! -By Meredith Carroll
MORE ON BABBLE
20 things you should NEVER say during sex
The 21 most hilarious wedding photobombs - ever
20 funny excuses women give to get out of sex
- Tue, May 7, 2013 8:26 AM EDT | CommentsBridget Arsenault
There's no "off-duty" in royal life, and so it falls to the world's kings, queens, princes, princesses-plus an empress or two-to quickly learn how to pair a tiara with bespoke McQueen. From galas to charity functions or even a weekend walk in Kensington Gardens with a certain floppy-eared cocker spaniel, these 10 royals always pull off debonair-any time of day or night.
See more from Vanity Fair:
Two Decades of Brad Pitt
International Best-Dressed List
Classic Nude Portraits: Lady Gaga, Angeline Jolie, Jennifer Aniston
- Mon, May 6, 2013 2:31 PM EDT | CommentsA school with no homework or grades sounds like a child's dream but for the students of Toronto, Ontario's Alpha Alternative School, opened in 1972, that was very much the reality. The public school's policy was founded on the principal of democracy and according to Debbie O'Rourke, Alpha's volunteer coordinator, kids learn at their leisure. "We value general knowledge, social sciences, arts, and literacy but kids are valued and not judged," O'Rourke told Yahoo! Shine. "There are no grades and we don't waste kid's time by loading them up with homework. Allowing them to learn organically through playing and interacting with other kids in a nurturing environment will help them grow into smart individuals." For the school's 40th anniversary in September 2012, former Alpha student and photographer, Michael Barker, shot portraits of alumni in a series called "Alpha Alternative School 1972/2012." So what happens to kids who don't get grades or take tests? See for yourself. By Elise Sole
- Mon, May 6, 2013 6:56 PM EDT | Comments
Shower caps aren't just for Grandma anymore - Bethenny is bringing that beauty tool back! Every girl has a secret weapon that's key to her daily routine… and Bethenny's is - shocker! - a plain blue plastic cap she uses while she's prepping for her day. Do you or any of your girlfriends use a shower cap like Bethenny does?
As useful as hers is, though, she freely admits she could use an upgrade. What fun shower cap should Bethenny consider swapping hers out for? A few ideas:
- Mon, May 6, 2013 6:48 PM EDT | CommentsMaking some packaged food taste good and getting you to buy it can involve a lot of tinkering and some shifty science. The result isn't always pretty. We expose.
by Dina Roth Port
More from SELF:
Delicious Superfood Recipes for Weight Loss
Best Beauty Products Under $15
5 Simple Steps to Cellulite-Free Skin
Lose 2 Pounds in a Week!
- Mon, May 6, 2013 6:02 PM EDT | Comments
Mom taught you to love fearlessly, to value creativity, to smile through the tough times, and to look inside for true beauty. She was your example for independence, strength, patience, and humor. And most importantly, she showed you unconditional love. Whether she taught you how to read, how to fight an illness, or how to build a fire, these lessons from a mother are simply priceless to a daughter. Motherhood is often a thankless job, so we asked Shine readers to share their gratitude for all of the sacrifices Mom made and for all of the lessons she bestowed on you along the way. Here are their heartfelt "thanks" to Mom on Mother's Day.
-- Ali Swank
- Mon, May 6, 2013 5:46 PM EDT | CommentsBy Samantha Yu & Annie Georgia Greenberg, Refinery29
Mom is simply the best. Who else will take care of you when you're feeling ill, listen to you when you're down in the dumps, and text you incessantly when you're on a date?
RELATED: Inexpensive Mother's Day Gifts Only A Star Child Would Give
Of course, someone so concerned awe-inspiring deserves only the most special of gifts. This Mother's Day, remind her just how incredible you think she is with one - or more! - of these perfect little somethings. Followed, of course, by all the showings of affection your phone, email, and snail mail, can handle.
More from Refinery29:
Found! The Perfect Summer Dress, For Less Than $30
13 Awesome Beauty Products Straight From Our NYC Editors
An Expert's Surprising Secret To Getting Ahead At Work
We Answer The Very Personal Beauty Qs You're Afraid To Ask
- Mon, May 6, 2013 5:42 PM EDT | CommentsWhile you're out shopping for Mom this year, spare her the new vacuum, broom, or what you consider to be "the coolest garage sale find." As much as you think she will light up when you hand her the Anthropologie apron that she's had her eye on, save it for another day. There's a lot of wonderful gifts Mom would appreciate, but these 7 worst Mother's Day gifts definitely do not make the cut. - By Jaime Morrison Curtis
MORE ON BABBLE
10 mother's day gifts she REALLY wants this year
15 mom-approved meals any dad can whip up
15 awkward family mother's day photos that bring the LOL's
- Mon, May 6, 2013 3:58 PM EDT | Comments
The OK! team just adores a new pair of shoes. Because we stare at celebs' adorable fashion choices all day, the shopping inspiration is typically endless and so is our love for footwear. But recently, we've been eyeing up a new celebrity style trend.
That, ladies and gents, is the sneaker. Whether it's a pair of platform sneaks, workout shoes, or a flat printed style, we think celebs have been doing a pretty good job at stylin' these wardrobe essentials this spring. They're the perfect spring addition to your family of footwear. And if the stars rock 'em, we figured we'd give it a shot too.
Check out the celebrity spring sneaker looks that we like the best.
Which one is your favorite? Tweet @OKMagazine and leave a comment below.
- Thu, Jan 17, 2013 11:12 AM EST | CommentsWhen it was time to name my first three children, my husband and I looked up name meanings, origins, and other ways to say it, or nicknames that went along. Like so many parents, we poured over baby books and family names looking for the perfect fit. Now that Baby #4 is on the way, I'd love something unusual but that can still be pronounced and easily spelled. So when Nameberry.com released their list of "new" names -- names that are very rarely used but gaining popularity -- I was curious to find out if any of them might work for us. Read on to find 7 unique baby name trends for 2013: - By Diana Stone
MORE ON BABBLE
20 totally "obscure" hipster baby names
10 vintage baby names that need to make a comeback
The 33 worst celebrity baby names ... ever
- Shine Food - 22 minutes ago
- Author Blog Posts - 26 minutes ago
- Healthy Living - 37 minutes ago
- Fashion - 39 minutes ago
- Fashion - 42 minutes ago