- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:52 PM EDT | Comments
With the U.S. Social Security Administration's release of America's most popular baby names for 2012 last week, we discovered pop culture dictated the fastest-rising name for girls. The rising star in boy names was major - no, literally Major. Clearly, Americans have had the military on their minds when naming their little ones! A recent release from the SSA shows just how popular the military has become recently in popular culture and beyond. I've gathered a handful of great military names for babies that have pop-culture cross-over appeal - so stand at attention! There is no telling if using a military themed baby name will ensure your child will have a happy and well adjusted childhood, but you can't argue with the strength of character these names carry! Click through for 7 awesome military names for babies! -By Dresden Shumaker
- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:54 PM EDT | CommentsNothing says,"Summer is here!" like the final days of May and the beach. People begin to flock to campgrounds and lakes and state parks and, best of all, beaches. Starting this weekend, Moms and Dads everywhere will be shoving one last cooler into the back of the minivan and strapping one last bike to the back of the RV as they round up the hyper-excited kids and pile into the vehicle for the long hot ride to America's favorite summer time destination by the sea.Of course, no matter how much we plan our family trips to the seashore, no matter how detailed and precise we are with our visions of how our vacation should go, something always goes bad, huh? Uproariously bad. Click through for 7 hilarious photos of summertime gone wrong! -By Serge Bielanko
MORE ON BABBLE
15 weirdest, creepiest dolls - EVER
25 horrifying photos of things kids have ruined
17 summer fashion trends that need to go NOW
- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:56 PM EDT | CommentsThere's nothing like listening to the National Anthem to get your patriotism flowing for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday. If you're like me, you'd probably much rather hear it sung than sing it yourself. (Have you ever tried singing our nation's tune? Those high notes can be hard to hit!) Whether for the Super Bowl or the president's inauguration, and live or lip-synced, the Star-Spangled Banner is always an epic song to be heard - especially when they roll out that giant flag and strike up the band. Often, goose bumps are unavoidable! Click through for 10 of the best National Anthem performances - ever. Click through for the 7 best Star Spangled Banner performances ever! -By Kacy Faulconer
MORE ON BABBLE
10 famous moms caught breastfeeding in public
15 celebrities who aren't afraid to go makeup-free
15 celebrity pairs who could pass as twins!
- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:54 PM EDT | CommentsBreaking up is hard to do, even when you're famous! To honor our newly single ladies, we've rounded up our favorite Hollywood post-split transformations.
For More From Real Beauty:
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.
- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:16 PM EDT | Comments
- Thu, May 23, 2013 1:08 PM EDT | CommentsGet ready for summer weather and BBQs with these 7 DIYs for a summer patio makeover. Paint your chair cushions to give them a fresh new look or add seating by building a daybed out of a pallet. All it takes is a few small changes and your patio will have a whole new look! Let the party begin with DIY outdoor speakers, lights, and more! - By Jacinda Boneau
MORE ON BABBLE
10 everyday household items that double as organizers
24 genius ways to decorate your home with a Sharpie
15 clever patio and garden IKEA hacks
- Thu, May 23, 2013 12:58 PM EDT | Comments
Four quick ways to freeze the fresh-picked flavor of summer berries. | Story by Mary Allen Perry
There's nothing quite as soul-crushing as eating an out-of-season berry. That's why we capture the cobbler-sweet taste of the locally grown jewels by freezing them at their peak. Berries frozen with sugar better retain their color and texture, while those frozen without are perfect for adding to quick breads or cakes.
Just before freezing, gently wash berries in cool water, and pat them dry with paper towels. Remove and discard stems, leaves, and any under-ripe or damaged fruit. Pick one of the methods below, or mix and match. No matter how you freeze 'em, we guarantee you'll never be tempted to buy bland again.
- Thu, May 23, 2013 12:48 PM EDT | CommentsI don't know about you, but in the summer I switch to white. White wine, that is. I banish the heavy reds to the cellar and still with the refreshing white wine cocktails. Sometimes I go crazy and make them with prosecco or, maybe even, champagne. It really depends on what I have on hand. White wine pairs so well with many things, especially the fruits and veggies of summer. Enjoy a nice board of cheese, fruits, salad, and nuts in the backyard, pour yourself one of these cocktails and enjoy! - Kelsey Banfield
MORE ON BABBLE
7 refreshing iced tea recipes to cool down with this summer
16 creative ways to deck out your burger in time for BBQ season
10 refreshing watermelon desserts for your next backyard party
- Thu, May 23, 2013 12:53 PM EDT | Comments
It often seems that anything cooked on the grill is instantly more delicious. This universal cooking technique also provides a way to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible, and -- let's face it -- to create a bit of a show out of your meal. Any way you look at it, grilling and summer go hand in hand, and we want to make sure this is your most successful season yet. Here, then, are 7 dishes that should be in every cook's summer repertoire.
More from Food52
• Think beyond the hamburger with these 7 Burgers for Summer.
• Sign up for Food52's new kitchen store, Provisions, to get 10 dollars credit when they open.
• Got a question in the kitchen? The Food52 hotline is here to help!
Brought to you by the spirited home cooks' community at Food52.
- Thu, May 23, 2013 12:47 PM EDT | Comments