Fresh Summer Pizza Recipes
Our recipe for summer entertaining at its best: Invite friends over, scoop up some superfresh ingredients, and throw an easy pizza pie party. Making two different pies for your party means more fun, so select a contrasting pair to keep it interesting. Decide whether you want your pizza saucy, flatbread-like, or creamy; you'll find each type here.
1 pound refrigerated fresh pizza dough
1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 (4-ounce) zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
1 (4-ounce) yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
1 small red onion (about 7 ounces), cut into 12 wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and torn into pieces
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature, covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
4. Flatten bell pepper pieces with hand. Arrange all the vegetables in a single layer on a large cutting board or baking sheet; brush both sides with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Arrange onion wedges on skewers, if desired. Arrange vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 3 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender and grill marks appear. Remove from grill. Coarsely chop bell pepper.
5. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface, and pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza stone; place dough on pizza stone. Bake at 500° for 5 minutes. Remove the partially baked crust from oven. Spread sauce over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange the vegetables over dough, and sprinkle evenly with salt and crushed red pepper. Top evenly with cheese. Carefully return pizza to pizza stone. Bake at 500° for an additional 12 minutes or until the crust and cheese are browned. Brush edge of dough with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Cut into 6 large slices.