Dried beans, seeds and spices (like black beans, cloves or star anise)
1. Carve an opening out of the top or bottom of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Replace the cutout.
2. Draw eyes and mouth on the pumpkin with the marker.
3. For scooped eyeballs: Use the melon baller to scoop out several small spheres from the outside of the pumpkin. Reattach each sphere to the pumpkin with half a toothpick. If desired, press seeds or spices into the spheres for pupils.
4. For scooped mouth (far left): Scrape partway through the rind with the melon baller to form the mouth shape.
5. For carved eyes and mouth: Cut out using the knife or pumpkin carver. Using discarded eye cutout, carve two eye shapes. Create two scooped eyeballs as in Step 3 and attach them to the eye shapes with half a toothpick. Attach the finished eyes to the pumpkin with full toothpicks.
6. Wipe off any remaining marker with a damp cloth.