Childhood favorites-- we love them for a reason. From s'mores at summer camp to chicken soup on a snow day, childhood favorites easily bring back nostalgic memories by the mouthful. Here are a few creative twists on old favorites.
• Wondering what to pack your kids for lunch this school year? Check out these ideas!
• Need some dinner inspiration for your family? We've got you covered.
• Got a question in the kitchen? Ask the experts on the Food52 Hotline.
Serves 6 as an hors d'oeuvre
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
kosher or Maldon sea salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
1. In a large, heavy pot with a lid, heat the oil and butter over medium heat until the butter melts and starts to foam. Add the popcorn kernels and stir to coat. Cover the pot and, using good oven mitts, shake it once in a while until you hear the popcorn start to pop.
2. Move the lid so it's slightly ajar (so the steam can escape) and shake the pot gently but consistently until the popping subsides, which will take a couple of minutes. Take the pot off the heat and remove the lid.
3. Immediately sprinkle the marjoram and paprika over the popcorn, rubbing the herbs between your fingers to release more of their flavor, less