Rainy days can cause fashion confusion. What shoes do I wear? How can I keep from looking like a wet cat? Since you know rainy days will happen, be prepared with a few fun essentials that can turn a gloomy day around, (even if the weather does not cooperate.)
Rainy Day Fashion Tips
Color your day
Even if the sky is dark and dreary, your outfit doesn't have to be. Make it a point to be a bright spot in the landscape. Cheery colors do more than make you more visible on the side of the road; they can help you sidestep a bad mood. Take the rain drops as your cue to wear something fun. A colorful scarf can help fend off rainy day chill, and can brighten your complexion. Choose one in the clearest color you can find. Muted colors can be left for another day; cloudy days call for a contrast.
- Coral Infinity scarf. Infinity scarves are extra easy to wear and coral looks nice on most complexions. If that isn't enough to convince you to grab this lightweight cable knit scarf, the $12.80 price tag may.
- Bright blue sequin scarf. Available from Nordstrom, this pretty blue scarf is full of light-catching sequins. Even when the light outside is limited, you can carry your own. Price, $28.
Let a smile be your umbrella
There is no reason to choose a black umbrella. When choosing an umbrella, go for the colorful or silly. A child's umbrella is actually just the right size for one person. Why not carry a funny frog, or a pink ruffled number. Consider your umbrella a fun accessory. If rain is common in your part of the country, add a few fun umbrellas. Remember though, an umbrella is not an investment piece. This functional item is just a practical help. Skip the $300 designer umbrella and go for the colorful, silly, or sublime. Oh, and about all those smiles you see on the way to work? Yep, you caused them.
- Blue skies umbrella. This traditional stick umbrella is all navy on the outside, but underneath, the detailed cloud design will help you remember what a sunny day looks like.
- Sunflower by Vincent Van Gogh umbrella. Add a little culture to the landscape with this classic painting. For those who cannot see themselves carrying a cartoon image, this is a good alternative to solid black.
- Owl umbrella. Carrying this child-size umbrella is a hoot. Cute Stephen Joseph graphic owls cover this pink and brown umbrella.
Be careful of your materials
Don't risk ruining your clothes. Even if you carry an umbrella and are "only going to be outside for a moment," leave the suede, untreated leather and silky garments at home. But at the same time, you do not have to go with a 100% waterproof ensemble. Slip into a classic trench coat, or cute rain coat that you keep on hand for just such the occasion. A fun jacket makes rainy days less a bother.
- Yellow polka dot raincoat . Not quite as fun as a yellow polka dot bikini, but close. This short feather-weight raincoat is available from Target for $29.99
- Traditional trench. A long hooded London Fog raincoat is a classic choice that will not go out of style. Available from Kohl's for $150.
Boots are the key to rainy day fun
If you thought the umbrellas were silly, wait until you see the rain boots. There are so many fun rain boots on the market, you can certainly find one that suits your style. Let your hair down when it comes to rain boots. Sticking with a pair that matches your wardrobe is completely unnecessary. Instead, try to match your rain boots to your sense of humor. Find a pair that makes you smile and you are set for whatever Mother Nature throws at you.
- Buffalo print lace-up boots. Don't let the playful pattern and the mod lace-up front fool you -- these rubber rain boots are as functional as they are stylish. The tall shaft and grooved sole protects your feet and keeps you steady on stormy days.
- Clear rain boots. Rain boots do not have to be clunky. These cute clear rain boots have a ballet shoe look at the bottom with a transparent shaft. You can let your patterned tights or stripey socks shine through while staying safe and dry.
- Sperry Top Sider. The cushioned micro-fleece lining and waterproof construction combine in this fashionable Sadie platform boot. Available in bright yellow, bold pink and navy with a 2¼-inch heel and a ½-inch platform.
So many products available for protecting you from the elements. Even if you are like me and typically revert to black ensembles, your outerwear can show your fun side! Choose the pieces that make you happy just looking at them, and gloomy days will have nothing on you.
Other articles by this contributor: