All it takes is three simple steps! It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. To follow this adage, we need to keep our bodies in tip-top shape.
As a cosmetic chemist, women always ask me, "What happened to that smooth, baby soft skin I use to have?" Simple. Over the years, our skin really does show all. Climate, diet, sun exposure and our other bad habits all take their toll.
As a beauty industry insider with over two decades of experience, let me let you in on a little secret. It's never too late to start taking care of your skin. The key is to be proactive, rather than reactive. Start with a daily routine that includes these three easy steps:
Step 1. Wash Your Face Twice Daily. I suggest an exfoliating cleanser, formulated specifically for daily use. Cleansing and exfoliating does more than remove impurities, it gives your skin room to breathe, as well as the opportunity to fight off toxins and bacteria that cause various dermatological issues.
Here is all you need to do to properly wash your face:
- Begin by washing your hands. This is an extremely important step that's often overlooked. Washing your hands. before washing your face, removes any impurities and blemish-causing bacteria.
- Wash with a soap-free cleanser - using your hands! That's right, don't use a washcloth or sponge, as both can actually irritate your skin, not to mention spread bacteria. Rinse using tepid water.
- If you don't have an exfoliating cleanser, make sure to use your favorite exfoliator after cleansing. Exfoliate for about one minute (but not more than two) to get rid of dead skin. Don't apply pressure. You want to be gentle to your skin. Then, rinse again using tepid water.
- When you are finished, pat your face dry, don't rub, using a clean cotton towel. Rubbing irritates skin and hastens the return of unwanted bacteria.
Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator, $38
Step 2. Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Our bodies are mostly made of water. Without H20, it's impossible for our organs, including our skin, to remain healthy and function properly. No matter your skin type, I suggest a natural moisturizer that will lock in vital nutrients and moisture. I also recommend avoiding synthetic ingredients, as they can damage the health of your skin, or even accelerate the signs of aging.
Step 3. Protect Take it from me. There are few things more horrifying to a skin care expert than the amount of people who erroneously believe that sunscreen is something you only apply when you go to the pool or beach.
Most of us go outside everyday, and every time we do we're exposed to the sun's rays. Chronic overexposure can make skin feel leathery and lessen its elasticity, leading to wrinkles. Sunscreen is a vital part of a proactive daily skincare regimen, and is key to maintaining baby soft skin as you age.
Make these three easy steps part of your daily routine, and I guarantee that you'll find yourself on the skin care defensive less often. And, in the process, you'll score baby soft skin that everyone will covet!Elizabeth Arden
Elizabeth Arden PREVAGE Triple Defense Shield Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50, $79
More from GalTime.com:
- 6 Beauty Products I Steal From My Husband
- Anti-Aging Gracefully: Are You Neglecting These Areas?
- Our 6 Fall Faves Under $100
- Girl's Night Out Beauty Tips For Moms