by Petra Guglielmetti
Mark LeibowitzWhether you're looking to add some oomph to an updo or lend more length to your half-up hairstyle, there's a good chance you're considering possibly incorporating some hair extensions into your wedding look. Even if you've never used them before, don't be scared--your hairstylist can make them look perfectly natural. And to keep you from making common faux-hair mistakes, I got the following tips for bridal hair extensions from Nikki Lee and Riawna Capri, co-owners of Nine Zero One Salon in L.A., which has a brand-new hair-extensions bar (featuring the popular brand Hair U Wear, which I've worn many times and loved!).
Bridal hair extensions DOs:
* DO find multicolor extensions, not hair that's one solid shade. Find an extension brand that offers multilevel coloration--this means that each shade features seven to 11 different colors, which are hand-blended to look totally natural, just like your own hair. You can even play with color and add extensions that are one to two shades lighter or darker, to create high- or low-lights. Try Hairdo by HairUWear Clip-In Extensions.
See more: 15 Hair-Color Makeover Ideas to Try in 2013
* DO curl your real hair and the extensions together. This ensures that your natural hair and the extensions are completely blended in for a seamless look and that your hair looks like it's all your own (only better). Stying tip: Set your curling iron at a cool 350 degrees, and alternate curling 1-inch sections from the front to the back, for a more natural look.
* DO make sure you wash and condition your set of extensions before your wedding day. This can be done to both human hair and synthetic extensions. Let them air dry. You want them clean on your big day, and washing will remove any product buildup created over time.
Bridal hair extensions DON'Ts:
* DON'T use too much hair! Using too many extensions can look unnatural and will also be uncomfortable. You want to make sure you still look like yourself on your wedding day. Try clipping in just one set that will add both volume and the desired length. You might see that it's all you need.
See more: 10 Hot Date-Night Outfits (According to Guys)
* DON'T clip in extensions too close to your hairline. If you do, they will be very uncomfortable and can also slip out too easily. Instead, be sure to clip them 1/2 inch away from your scalp and 2 inches away from your hairline. Styling tip: First tease the area and spray with a hairspray to create some grip for the extensions. This allows the clips to hold on to your hair better and will prevent slippage.
* DON'T blunt-cut extensions. If extensions are cut straight across, they will not have any body or shape and you will look like you're wearing extensions. To ensure that they look their most natural, ask your hairstylist to attach them to your hair and then cut them to custom fit your look. No one will ever ask if you are wearing extensions on your big day, but everyone will give you compliments on your hair!
How many of you plan to wear extensions on your wedding day, or did so already? Do you have any of your own tips and tricks for making them look natural and beautiful? Share below!
More from Glamour:
62 Diamond Engagement Rings Under $5,000
The Best Summer Nail Polish Shades for Your Skin Tone
35 Truths About Marriage--From a Guy's Point of View
10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Should Own
by Petra Guglielmetti