The secret to getting hair's
According to a recent Unilever study, hair that is about shoulder length (around 9 inches long) has, after two years, gone through 411 washes, 6,171 brushes, and 10 bleaches, and had approximately 19,122 split ends and 36,206 breaks. With that in mind, we asked experts for advice on solving your three biggest hair issues.
The Problem: Your locks are limp-and not in that cool off-duty-model way.
The Fix: The secret to getting hair's "sexy" back: body all over.
Related: 10 Ways To Get Your Energy Up In 5 Minutes Or Less
1. Whatever your hair type, lather up with a clarifying shampoo weekly, then immediately replenish lost moisture and elasticity (the bounce-factor that's key to scoring swingy strands) with a thickening rinse-out conditioner. "Even naturally full hair can fall flat from heavy styling cream and serum buildup," says Gwynne Mims, a stylist at the Eva Scrivo salon in New York City and lead stylist for Ojon.
2. Get to the root of the problem. David Babaii, the Los Angeles-based stylist who amplifies Kate Hudson's finely spun golden locks, prefers a texturizing powder or spray over liquid lifters like hairspray.
3. Chill out-with the blowdryer. "Using low or medium heats causes the cuticle [a hair's outer layer] to swell up and look fuller, while really high heat makes it collapse," says Mims.
Related: 25 Secrets Men Keep From Women
4. Steer clear of metal and plastic brushes when styling-opt for a mix of natural fibers and nylon bristles instead. According to Mims, fine hair is more fragile and susceptible to breakage.
5. Amp it up. Peter Butler, an NYC-based stylist who works with Anne Hathaway and Georgia May Jagger, boosts volume with this quick fix: Spray an aerosol hairspray or dry shampoo onto your crown-section by section-then brush hair straight up into a high ponytail so the roots are vertical. Spray the base again and leave hair up for 10 minutes. "When you take it down, it's like you just got a fresh, full blowout," he says.
More from MarieClaire.Com:
12 Sneaky Ways Celebs Stay Thin
50 Hairstyle DON'Ts and Dos
30 Ways To Look Younger
How To Look Great In Every Photo