BellaSugarSource: What You Should Know About Korean Skin Care
Move over, France and Japan, and let Korea be on your beauty radar. The average Korean woman has easily over 10 products in her daily skin care routine, and the country's philosophy of good skin dates back to the Dongui Bogam, a Korean medical text from the 1600s. And in recent years, Korea is responsible for the eyelash extension and BB cream crazes that have become international sensations. Here are some other hot beauty trends coming from Korea's flourishing beauty counters.
- Green Tea: This natural wonder has been touted for its countless health and beauty benefits, but Korean brand AmorePacific has perfected the science behind cultivating and extracting the most powerful benefits of EGCG, an antioxidant only found in green tea. All of the EGCG comes from green tea grown in fields on the Korean island of Jeju, where it has the optimal climate for the most potent tea leaves.
- Ginseng: Used in traditional Eastern medicine, ginseng has many health and beauty benefits and is only found naturally in a few places in the world - Korea's ginseng is prized the most. In skin care, this herbal root has rejuvenating effects and can help restore the skin's moisture balance, fighting signs of aging and hyperpigmentation. Korea's Sulwhasoo line is available in the US, and ginseng is at the heart of the brand's formulations.
More from BellaSugar: Why Your Oily Skin Still Needs a Moisturizer
- Skin Science and Clarity: Radiant skin is the ultimate goal of practically all Korean skin care lines and the research behind new skin care technologies, which focus on brightening dark spots and perfecting a glowing complexion. Amarté is one of the newest Korean skin care brands to make its debut stateside. It started off in a Korean dermatology clinic and grew into a brand based in science with partnerships with Seowon University and the Bio Regional Innovation Center For Organic Materials and Food.
- Power Exfoliating: Korean women love a good scrub, which they can get at the popular public baths (jjimjilbang in Korean) and with at-home treatments. Just search "Korean day spa" on Yelp, and you'll find a local spa that can give you the ultimate smoothing experience, like Spa Castle, which has locations in New York and Texas and new ones coming soon.
- Airless pumps: Another skin care innovation that has taken the Korean market by storm is airless dispensing pumps. What makes this sort of packaging so special is that it keeps the product from being contaminated and oxidized. Everything from cleansers to moisturizers and even foundation can be found in an airless pump. Plus, the technology allows you to ensure the perfect amount of product every time.
Are You Getting Your Beauty Vitamins? Find Out!
Follow BellaSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of Bella Sugar on Facebook