YumSugarSource: 10 Party-Ready Pantry Items
December's a time for festive lights, edible gifts, holiday music, and, of course, fabulous parties. This time of year, it's impossible to know who may stop by my apartment on the way home from Christmas shopping or before a spirited Saturday on the town, so have the provisions on hand to throw together a quick, snackable spread. Here are 10 ingredients essential to hosting an impromptu evening of holiday entertaining.
- Salami: Fat slices of porky-spicy salami are a hearty nibble. Set the entire chunk of salami on a cutting board and let guests help themselves.
- Cheese: There are always at least two kinds of cheese in my refrigerator. For parties, select interesting and exotic cheese, stock up on a variety of milks and textures, and serve a creamy cheese next to a hard cheese.
- Crackers: You can't have cheese without crackers! They provide an element of crunch to go along with the rest of your charcuterie or cheese plate.
- Puff Pastry: Frozen puff pastry is like magic. To put together pinwheels, all you have to do is roll it out, spread something on it, roll it up, slice it, and bake. They're a go-to, crowd pleasing appetizer that can be made with virtually any filling - chopped meat, vegetables, cheese, tapenade, pesto, and more.
- Olives: Briny and salty, olives are a great light snack before dinner. They're also portable which means if you're invited to a last minute celebration, you can grab the container of olives and a bottle of wine and you're good to go.
- Sparkling Wine: There's no sweeter sound than that of a just popped bottle of bubbly; it's the quintessential start to any party. That's why the party-friendly fridge should never be without a chilling bottle of sparkling wine, be it Champagne, Prosecco, or Cava.
- Nuts: A classic bar snack, nuts are quite possibly the easiest appetizer ever. Pour them into a pretty serving bowl and you're set!
- Beer: Not everyone drinks sparkling wine, so it's crucial to have cold bottles of beer on hand. Store several beer glasses in the freezer and an icy cold brew is just seconds away.
- Cocktail Napkins: Sometimes it's the little details, like a fun cocktail napkin, that make an evening memorable. Cocktail napkins like these festive ones ($8) are also a useful conversation starter.
- Dark Chocolate: When craving something sweet, who can say no to a chunk of artisanal dark chocolate? It's the perfect finish to any meal or seasonal soirée.
Make Italian Party Appetizers This Holiday
Get on (Cheese) Board With These Holiday Serving Plates
Follow YumSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of YumSugar on Facebook