bride and groom toppersSometimes it's rough being a foodie. There are certain, super-hyped dishes I have such high expectations for that they consistently disappoint. For instance, I feel like I've had yet to taste the ultimate penne vodka, mac 'n' cheese, Buffalo wings ... Funny enough, I feel the same way about wedding cake. Maybe it's just not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe that's why some brides are trading their cake for other desserts (like my friend who is a pastry chef and served homemade pies and adorable, decadent cupcakes in mason jars)?
More from The Stir: Natalie Portman's 'Weird' Wedding Food Is a Lesson to Other Brides
I love the idea of a wedding cake too much to do that, though. What's more, because I'm much more into sweets than savory dishes, I've even recently begun thinking of tweaking our budget to include additional desserts. So, in honor of brides like me who care more about the wedding treats than the wedding dinner, here are some awesome new wedding dessert ideas to satisfy any guest's sweet tooth ...
1. Gelato bar - I could go for fro-yo, premium ice cream, soft serve, even vegan frozen desserts any time of the day, any day of the year, but the creamy texture of Italian-style gelato usually beats all of the above. That's why guests are sure to love having their choice of several gelato flavors at an action station. (Yep, there's already one on our wedding menu!)
gelato in firenze
2. S'mores bar - Ever since I saw this on Pinterest, I've thought what a cute idea it is to let your guests toast their own marshmallows and put together their own campfire-ready dessert. Yum!
More from The Stir: 7 Fun Food Ideas to Make Your Wedding One-of-a-Kind
3. Cupcakes - An obvious one these days, but nothing beats 'em for offering a variety of flavors, textures, fillings ... What's not to love?
4. Pies - Full or petite versions of your favorite pies -- from blueberry to raspberry or even coconut cream -- are sure to be a hit with a wide variety of guests.
5. Cake pops - Totally trendy and oh-so-cute, cake pops can be decorated any which way you please and allow guests to try a few different cake flavors in "mini" form.
6. Coffee station - Sure, you could have your guests served coffee by wait staff, or you could let 'em order Starbucks-style at a coffee/espresso "station," which, for some reason, ends up being a lot more fun!
7. Serve yourself bulk candy - Who doesn't want to feel like a "kid in a candy shop"?
8. International dessert bar - Give your guests a faux trip to Epcot with a global taste test. They'll love topping their own French crepe with a variety of combos, from ice cream and honey or fudge sauce with banana slices. Perhaps picking out a pistachio or chocolate cannoli. Or how 'bout a choice of Mexican cookies or Greek baklava? Mmm!
crepe topped with ice cream
9. Spiked frozen treats - Cool off from the dance floor by indulging in liquor-infused snow cones and alcoholic popsicles in a variety of cocktail-inspired flavors.
10. Milkshake bar - Go retro by letting guests order up their own soda shop classic.
What's your favorite wedding dessert idea?
More from The Stir:
Newest Wedding Trend Leaves Some Guests Seriously Unsatisfied
Bride Gives Birth & Attends Her Own Wedding Reception a Few Hours Later
The Royal Wedding Cake Contained Secret Messages -- Say What?!