When it comes to summer fruit, a few come to mind: peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, melons, mangoes, but they can't quite compete with the ultimate summer fruit: strawberries. From desserts to salads, these tasty little morsels of yum can be used in any number of ways. We've gathered up a few choice recipes that showcase these delicious berries that will have your kids licking their lips in anticipation.
1. Whether you're celebrating a birthday, a special occasion, or just feel like having a slice of cake, this gluten free recipe uses fresh strawberries in both the cake mix and the frosting. Yum!
2. If you eat breakfast on the go, then this Strawberry Banana Smoothie is great for getting the energy you and your kids need without slowing down your schedule.
3. Strawberry Arugula and Feta salad makes the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Katie from Mom's Kitchen Handbook suggests you can also use butter lettuce if your kids are put off by the strong arugula taste.
4. Ditch the sugary colas at the store for a light and refreshing homemade strawberry soda that you and your kids can feel good about.
5. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan without sacrificing flavor, this Strawberry Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream is easy and delicious. What's there not to love?
6. Have yourselves a fancy party complete with refreshing mockails that feature all the fruits of the season.
7. Strawberry Rhubarb is about as classic a combination as peanut butter and jelly. And Catherine from Weelicious has a great recipe that works well as a dessert or a mid-afternoon snack for the kids.
8. Made with low fat buttermilk instead of heavy cream, this Strawberry Ice Cream is light and sweet--perfect for warding off that summertime heat. Thanks to A Little Yuminess for sharing this great recipe.
9. Throw together a few handfuls of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries into cupcake papers and watch the kids gobble up these sweet treats.
10. With just four ingredients, these Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles are super easy to throw together and are the perfect summer treat. Special thanks to Susan from Our Family Eats for sharing this recipe.
11. Start your morning off right with these delicious Strawberry Muffins. Breakfast is, after all, the most important meal of the day, and Catherine at Weelicious claims that these light and tasty muffins are a huge hit with kids.
12. When it comes to strawberries, you won't find a more classic recipe than Strawberry Shortcake. Complete with a strawberry sauce and fresh whipped cream, this dessert is sure to be an instant classic for your family.
13. Perfect on scones, bread, or crackers, this Strawberry Basil Jam is simple, not too sweet, and you can make it in large batches and save for weeks whenever you need that taste of summer.
What's your favorite way with summer strawberries? Let us know below.