Photo via www.commons.wikimedia.orgI always have a million carrots in my fridge. Dinner, dessert, lunch, side dishes, snacks, even breakfast--carrots tend to play a starring roll in my cooking. Here are 17 ways to get more of one of the world's most nutritious veggies ...
1. Steam them, mash them, then add to marinara sauce (no one will know they're there!)
2. Grate and add to muffins.
3. Make low-fat carrot cake.
4. Grate and add to stir fries and fried rice dishes (fried rice with lots of veggies + carrots is what I had for dinner last night!).
7. Bake peanut-butter-carrot cookies.
8. Make a classic carrot-raisin salad.
9. Make a cooling carrot "raita"--plain yogurt, mint, spices ... mmmmm.
10. Add to veggie sushi. Carrot + avocado is a favorite in my house.
11. Make a decadent side dish: brown-sugar-glazed carrots (but use agave nectar, and use just a drizzle).
12. Dip in hummus (but you already do that).
13. Add them to banana bread (here's some inspiration, though not particularly low-cal).
14. Make carrot pickles.
15. Steam them, and mash them into mashed potatoes.
16. Put them in turkey meatloaf (no, I'm not stuck in 1983--but I do love turkey meatloaf!).
17. Juice them with apples and limes.
What's your favorite thing to do with our favorite veggie?Sarah Jio
MORE FROM VITAMIN G:
- The 10 Grosses Ice Cream Flavors Ever
- OMG: This Workplace Declared "Naked Fridays" to Help Boost Morale
- Calling all Night Owls! An Important Warning About Sleep Deprivation for Women
- The Body Diaries: I'm Not Proud Of It, But I Size Up Other People's Body Imperfections--Do You?