When you think of summer desserts, ice cream certainly comes to mind. A sweet scoop melting down the side of your cone; a bowl piled high with creamy ice cream, fresh fruit, and perhaps a dollop of whipped cream.
Ice cream is, indeed an amazing summer dessert. Check out our vegan ice cream recipe roundup for some stellar recipes. But there's more to summer desserts than ice creams. What about popsicles and fudgesicles, shakes and sorbets, raw puddings and pies, grilled fruit, and fruity cupcakes? Now we're talking!
Check out these mouthwatering vegan recipes that you and your loved ones will surely enjoy!
1. Grilled Cherries and Vanilla Bean Walnut Cream
Recipe by Victoria Huff
If you haven't tried grilled fruit yet, now is the time to do it! On their own, fruit and grilling are so quintessentially summer. Put together, they may be an unexpected combination, but that marriage is actually pretty amazing. Like salted caramel, the savory/sweet combo wins out once again. This dish, a play on traditional berries and cream, is simple enough for a backyard barbecue and sophisticated enough for a fancy garden party.
- Several cups of cherries (according to your desired yield), pitted and sliced in half
- Coconut oil
- For the walnut cream:
- 2 cups walnut halves and pieces, soaked for at least half an hour
- 1 vanilla bean
- non-dairy milk, as needed
- preferred sweetener to taste
- Once the oil begins to sizzle, add the cherries and let cook for a few minutes.
- Once the tops begin to soften, use a spatula to "flip" them the best you can, basically stirring to be sure they grill on all sides.
- Once the cherries are softened (but still somewhat hold their shape) and are slightly charred, remove from heat, and serve with the walnut cream. These are best when served immediately.
- For the walnut cream, drain the walnut pieces and add to a food processor or blender. Scrape the vanilla bean and add the insides to the walnuts. Add a couple of tbsp of non-dairy milk and begin to blend, adding more liquid until you reach your desired smoothness and consistency. Add sweetener to taste.
2. Grilled Apple Pie with Vanilla-Coconut Whipped Cream In this summer-friendly version, traditional apple pie filling is wrapped in spring rolls, grilled, then brushed with melted vegan butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The only thing that could possibly make it better is the vanilla-infused whipped coconut cream, which is perfect for dipping.
3. Classic Rhubarb Crisp - A Summer Tradition This is a slightly healthier vegan version of an old classic that uses non-dairy substitutes and cuts the amount of sugar, but it still contains a couple of the same secret summer ingredients: sunshine and nostalgia!
4. Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake The caramelized brown sugar that coats the top compliments the tangy pineapple slices, as if they were made for each other. This cake is moist and dense, meaning that you can make it 2-3 days ahead of time and it will hold its texture perfectly.
5. Strawberry Shortcakes with a Coconut Whipped Cream Topping This recipe is pretty quick to put together and a lot of fun to eat, because it is a little messy. You can try serving these shortcakes with a spork and knife, but they should be considered finger food. If it's too hot outside to bake the biscuits, serving the whipped cream and berries as dessert ain't half bad either. And just a little word of warning: these shortcakes may look cute and innocent, but they're addictive.
6. Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes What two flavors could possibly celebrate the season better than lemonade and fresh strawberries? Nothing beats this combination of sweet and sour, all packed nicely into a light and fluffy cupcake. Pour yourself a tall glass of lemonade, take a bite, and enjoy living simply, hoping summer lasts forever!
7. Berry Fruit Tarts with Chia Seeds These tarts are all fruit, all the time. The crust is nut-free, made from only dried dates, raisins and figs. The filling is banana cream and obviously the topping is simply sliced strawberries and kiwi. Beautiful, nutritious, refreshing and delicious!
8. Raw Kiwi Tart with Ginger, Mint and Coconut
This is delightful, refreshing and sweet like the summer sun! Combines the delicious flavors of mint, kiwi and coconut on a crust made of walnuts, buckwheat groats and dates. If you like, add a banana or avocado into the filling for another layer of flavor, creaminess and plain bulk. The more tart, the better, right?
PIES AND CHEESECAKES:
9. Raw Lemon Meringue Pie This pie is a citrus-y slice of summer. The coconut and lemon make such a lovely combination, and the macadamia crust is so suited to the cheery lemon flavor. Keep in mind that the secret ingredient here is Irish Moss Gel, and it helps this pie set up and resemble the texture of a real lemon meringue pie. It's quite amazing!
10. No Bake Chocolate Cream Berry Firework Pie Just in time for the Fireworks! A single serve no bake Chocolate Cream Firework pie with local available berries! This recipe is gluten, soy, refined sugar free!
11. Patriotic Vegan Cheesecake This is a perfect recipe for the Fourth! It is also a wonderful excuse to create some magnificent and fun desserts that kids and adults alike will enjoy. Let the red, white, and blue cooking begin!
12. Coconut Lime Cream Pie This Coconut Lime Cream Pie is mouth-watering good and perfect for the summer season. It's made up of a sweetened pistachio crust filled with coconut lime custard. The pie is so rich and refreshing that everyone will love it.
13. Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake This "cheesecake" is Gluten-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, raw, vegan and delicious! What's not to love about this decadent raw dessert? G
14. Coconut Macadamia Blondie Pie This recipe adds a captivating tropical flavor to the basic blondie with the addition of shaved coconut and crushed macadamia nuts. Serve with coconut ice cream for the ultimate island inspired treat!
15. Cashew Cream Cups Naturally sweet and fantastically (and quite unbelievably) smooth, cashew cream is a true raw vegan wonder. This recipe really highlights the wickedly indulgent flavors of cashew cream.
16. Chocolate Tart This delicious chocolate tart is sweetened with dates and maple syrup. The crust is made of wholesome ingredients including pecans, hemp seeds, and oats. The most surprising ingredient in this tart is the avocado. It adds a rich, creamy texture when combined with the coconut oil and milk to this luscious and smooth filling.
SHAKES AND SORBETS:
17. The World's Healthiest Vanilla Milkshake Ever wanted to slurp down a huge milkshake only to not have it go straight to your hips? Now you can with this amazing vanilla milkshake. It's vegan, low carb, gluten free, grain free, sugar free and only 120 calories for the entire big huge ginormous thing!
18. Green Juice Sorbet Want to experience the power of micro-nutrients and the benefits of juicing as a delicious frozen desserts? WHAT? This is the recipe for you!
19. Super-Thick Strawberry Shake How about a healthy thick shake, bursting with the freshest, juiciest summer strawberries? This strawberry thick shake is way better than any shake to ever come out of those infamous golden arches. It's so thick you can even opt to eat it in a bowl, like ice cream!
20. Lime and Coconut Panna Cotta This is a healthier version of Coconut Panna Cotta, made with easily available ingredients. When it's ready, it is light with a mild lime flavor which still manages to overpower the coconut. So for those who don't like the strong coconut flavor, don't worry because you won't taste it.
21. Raw Chocolate Berry Pudding Why would you choose to eat processed chocolate pudding from powder that might cause chronic illness and cancer, when you can eat a whole foods fruit pudding that's cheaper AND will give you longer life, glowing skin, and optimal brain function. It's a no brainer!
22. Energizing Chia Pudding This low-caloric chia treat is not only a perfect dessert after a healthy dinner, but also a wonderful energizing (caffeine!) breakfast.
23. Vegan Mocha Pops If you love coffee and chocolate, these mocha pops are the perfect summer treat for you!
24. Raw Vegan Banana Ice Cream Pops These are super easy to make and really fun to decorate. Kids would love to make these, because you can be as creative as you like.
25. Raw Fruit Popsicles with Coconut Milk Simplicity is vital for happiness, and deliciousness. That is why this delicious recipe is going to make you so happy. They are almost too easy to make and almost too good to eat. Of course, we made and ate them anyway. You should too!
Cool and fresh, with no need to crank up the oven, raw desserts are also a great choice for summer!
Check out our raw dessert roundup for even more awesome summer dessert recipes!
This post was originally published on One Green Planet.