by Jessica Smith, REDBOOK
Casseroles make great cold weather comfort food, but their typical cream and cheese filled ingredients list places them high on the fat and calorie count. Turn your next casserole into an easy, healthy homemade meal idea with our four favorite hearty (but healthy) recipes:
1. King Ranch Casserole. This creamy, cheesy Tex-Mex chicken casserole is a delicious dish, a typical serving can weigh in at over 600 calories and almost 30g of fat. That's why we love this lightened up version.
Related: 12 Delicious Low-Carb Meals
2. Spanakopita Casserole. Not every casserole has to include meat. Try this amazing vegetarian recipe for this Greek spinach pie and save about 200 calories and 15g of fat per serving.
Related: The 10 Hottest Health Trends
3. Sweet Potato Casserole. A holiday favorite, this casserole is made with vitamin A and C rich sweet potatoes, making a nutritious and delicious side dish at any time of year.
Related: What Really Counts as Exercise
4. Turkey Tetrazzini. We love this filling Italian chicken and mushroom bake, but with some recipes packing in a whopping 750 calories and 44g of fat per serving, don't make this dish unless you use a lighter version.
Jessica Smith is a certified fitness lifestyle expert and creator of the 10 Pounds DOWN DVD series.
image credit: Con Poulos
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- Get a Flat Tummy in 2 Minutes
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.