Image Source: Raw Zucchini Wraps
Zucchini (a type of summer squash) is a great vegetable that boasts a number of health benefits and can be cooked in a variety of ways.
Zucchini's high water content (95 percent) makes it a very low calorie vegetables (only 17 calories per 100 g/one small zucchini) It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol, is packed with Vitamin C, A, folate, magnesium, protein and fiber. In addition, zucchini contains more than three times the potassium of the average potassium supplement, which helps in muscle growth and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
Overall, nutrients found in zucchini promote bone health, heart health, healthy weight and aid in cancer prevention.
The best way to eat zucchini is to consume is raw. However, salads and raw dishes are not the only way to enjoy this healthy summer squash. You can add zucchini to your muffins and cakes, soups, tacos and other entrees. The possibilities are literally endless! Here are our 5 favorite recipes made with Zucchini:
1. Raw Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado-Cucumber Sauce
Raw pasta dishes will leave you feeling so refreshed and at your best; they are perfect for the warm summer months. Feel free to omit the cucumber in this recipe and add an extra avocado if you like for variations (you may like to add a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil if you do). You can even add some arugula to the puree instead of using basil. Lots of ways to change it up and keep it fresh!
- 1 large zucchini (1 per person)
- grape, cherry or mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- jalapeno, thinly sliced and seeds removed (optional)
- pea shoots (optional)
- zest of one meyer lemon or regular lemon
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thick
- a few large leaves of basil (optional)
- 1 meyer lemon or regular lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Prepare your zucchini noodles julienne style or spiralized. Or alternately, cook your pasta of choice, about 8 ounces.
- For the puree, place all ingredients into a food processor/blender and process until creamy. Taste for flavor adding anything extra you might like.
- Toss zucchini pasta with avocado-cucumber puree and a handful of arugula. Serve with tomatoes, peas shoots, jalapenos, lemon zest, lemon wedges and fresh cracked pepper.
3. Spicy Kale Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
The pesto pairs great with the zucchini noodles, especially with a nice dusting of almond parmesan.
3. Flourless Tofu-Zucchini Muffins
These muffins are light but nevertheless filling. Perfect for brunch, light dinner or buffet.
4. Spicy Zucchini and Tomato Tacos You will love the mix of this spicy zucchini with the cooling tomatoes and avocado. If you want a heartier meal, these are perfect with some marinated tempeh. And if you don't have tortillas for wrapping, sauteed spicy zucchini and fresh tomato also make the perfect stand-alone salad.
5. Individual Chocolate Espresso Cake...with Zucchini!
What happens when Zucchini is mixed with chocolate and turned into a cake? The result: a moist, rich chocolate espresso cake that you will blow your mind!
For more amazing ideas on how to eat eat zucchini, read this article.
This article was originally published on One Green Planet