YumSugarSource: 5 Chilled Soups to Temper the Heat
I'm a bit of a soup fiend, so I devour it year round, even when temperatures spike. My secret? Instead of tucking in to a piping hot brothy bowl, I turn to luxuriously creamy chilled soups in warm weather, which provide much needed internal air conditioning. Additionally, all of these cool creations can be made ahead (excluding garnish) and enjoyed throughout the week; as an added bonus, in many cases the flavors bloom and mellow when sent to the fridge to chill out overnight.
- No-Cook Avocado and Corn Soup: This creamy crab-topped avocado soup can easily be adapted for vegans by omitting the briny crab garnish, making it a versatile dinner party appetizer.
- Classic Gazpacho: Try this nuanced take on classic Spanish gazpacho from lauded chef José Andrés. Bonus: leftovers can be transformed into a superlative bloody mary, with the addition of 3 simple ingredients (hint, one is vodka).
- Julia Child's Potage Parmentier: This potato leek soup, from the grande dame of French cookery, may be enjoyed hot or chilled down, à la vichyssoise, with the addition of an extra pinch of salt and splash of cream, since flavors are muted when chilled.
- Chilled Corn Soup : Make a big batch of chilled corn soup with the last of Summer's sweet corn, and enjoy it throughout the week. Alternatively, portion it out into shooters for a low fuss, yet elegant, make-ahead dinner party appetizer.
- White Gazpacho: Have you tried tomato-based gazpacho's creamy cousin, white gazpacho? If not, hustle to the kitchen pronto, this creamy almond and garlic based soup is worth trying at least once.
Back to Basics: Homemade Vegetable Stock
Seasonal Soups to Reheat Throughout the Week
Soup's on With Michelle Obama's Broccoli
Follow YumSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of YumSugar on Facebook