Still have those speckled and spotted bananas sitting in your fruit basket? Wait! Before you throw away your mushy, squishy ripe bananas check out these jazzy recipes. Turn those bad bananas into something good.
1. Banana Substitute for Whipped Cream
From Savingtools.com by Jessica Bosari
Try this on strawberry shortcake, vanilla ice cream, pancakes or waffles: whip together 2 large mashed overripe bananas, 3 t. sugar and 2 egg whites. Beat at high speed until fluffy.
2. Banana Pancakes
||3 medium eggs|
||2 medium Bananas; mashed|
||1 tablespoon Lemon juice|
||2 tablespoons Sugar|
||1 pinch Salt|
||1 cup Self Rising Flour|
||1 tablespoon Oil; as required|
Server with maple syrup and ice-cream or whipped cream, or sugar and lemon juice.
3. Banana Crumb Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 (really over-ripe) bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
For the topping:
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, vanilla, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
*Tip: These muffins will lose their crunch as they sit, due to the moisture of the banana. To keep the crunch, freeze muffins that won't be eaten up right away. To eat, just pop them in the microwave for 15 or 20 seconds and enjoy the crunch topping!
4. Super Simple Banana Smoothie Recipe
By Mariette Mifflin, About.com
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
- 1 Banana
- 4-6 oz Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Ice cubes
- Slice the banana right into Tribest's large blender cup (450 ml)
- Add vanilla
- Add 3 to 4 ice cubes (smaller ice cubes are better)
- Add low fat milk to about 1" from the top to allow room for expansion and blending.
- Attach the Blending Blade Assembly
- Place on the Personal Blender and blend for about 35 - 45 seconds
- Take off blender, remove Blade Assembly, add a straw and enjoy
5. Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
courtesy of The Eazy Vegan www.choosevegweb.com
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cups sweetener
- ½ cups applesauce
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat or white)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until very mushy, then add the oil, applesauce, sweetener and stir together.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and soda.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix together gently until "just mixed".
- Spoon in to a lightly oiled loaf pan and bake for minutes. Test with a knife to see if done.
Turn your brown bananas around and make it a yummy day! Go Bananas
"I bear Fruit"