Make it happen this weekend.Looking for the perfect dessert to complement the crisp weather and falling leaves? Your search is over! The ruby-red cranberries impart their tart flavor to this dish, and tint the juices a lovely rose color. The crispy topping can only be described as tasting like the best oatmeal cookie ever. Put together, you have the makings for an incredibly beautiful and delicious dessert - and the fact that it's so easy to prepare doesn't hurt either. Don't forget the ice cream!
1. 5 medium-sized Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2. 1 cup fresh whole cranberries
3. juice from 1/2 a lemon
4. 1/3 cup sugar
5. 1/2 cup flour
6. 1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
7. 3/4 cup brown sugar
8. 1/4 teaspoon salt
9. 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
10. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
11. 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl toss together apple slices, cranberries, lemon juice and sugar. Pour into a greased 8x8 inch baking dish.
3. Make topping. Mix flour, oats, sugar, salt and spices in a large bowl. Blend in butter, using a pastry cutter or your fingers, until the mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle over apples.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until apples are bubbling and topping is brown and crisp. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- By Alison Needham