This artichoke and brie dish looks great and is easy to execute.We love seasonal vegetables, especially when they're as interactive as artichokes (and as beautiful to behold). Something about pulling off the leaves, dipping them in something yummy and scraping off the sweet, tender flesh with our teeth is so satisfying. Plus they're all-natural, which is lot healthier than something out of a bag dipped in something out of a jar.
Related: How to Steam An Artichoke »
Rather than dip your artichoke leaves in butter, aioli or other sauce, bake a creamy-crunchy brie-spiked sauce right on top and let the goodness ooze all over. Sound like a plan?
It's a very easy recipe, but make sure the brie you're using is top-quality, otherwise it won't be as tasty. Use a lot of thyme and lots of almonds for extra flavor and crunchiness!
2 large artichokes, top quarter and stems sliced off
3 ounces brie, rind removed and cut into chunks
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for the top
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons finely sliced almonds, crushed into coarse crumbs with a rolling pin
1. In a large pot of salted water, boil the artichokes for 15-20 minutes (pull on a leaf to check for doneness; it should come right off). Take the artichokes out of the water and let them drain well, upside down, in a colander.
2. Put the brie in a small pot with the cream and let it melt on a low flame while constantly stirring.
3. When the mix is smooth, turn off the heat and, while stirring, add the yolk, the grated parmesan, the thyme and the crushed almonds.
4. Preheat the broiler to low and position the rack close to the bottom of the oven.
5. Fill the artichokes with the mix (it should cover the tops as well), sprinkle them with some more grated parmesan and almonds and place them standing head up in an oiled casserole dish.
6. Put under the broiler and let them cook for about 10 minutes, checking often, or until the cheese turns into a golden crust.
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes