This indulgent recipe from This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life (Weldon Owen, 2012), by brothers Max and Eli Sussman, takes the classic cinnamon bun up a notch by adding the chocolate-hazelnut spread Nutella between layers of dough for a gooey, decadent finish.
RECIPE: NUTELLA BUNS
MAKES 12 BUNS
1 (¼-oz.) package active dry yeast
¼ cup, plus 1 tsp. sugar
½ cup milk
9 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
¾ cup brown sugar
⅔ cup coarsely chopped pecans
1½ cups Nutella
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
RELATED: Recipe Ideas for Breakfast in Bed »
1. Combine yeast, 1 tsp. sugar and ½ cup warm water in a bowl until foamy, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring milk to a simmer in a 1-qt saucepan over medium heat; set aside for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining sugar, 4 tbsp. butter, and salt and stir to yeast mixture with vanilla, 2 eggs, and flour just until combined. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap; let sit until dough doubles in size, about 1½ hours.
2. Heat oven to 375°. Melt remaining butter in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stir until smooth, and pour into a 9" x 13" baking dish; sprinkle with pecans.
3. Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll dough into a 15" x 20" rectangle. Spread Nutella evenly over dough, leaving a ½" border on one long side. Beat remaining egg in a bowl and brush the clean border of the dough. Roll dough into a log towards the end brushed with egg; trim ends and cut log into 12 rounds. Transfer rounds cut side up to the baking dish, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve inverted onto plates and drizzle with syrup and nuts from the bottom of the baking dish.
MORE FROM SAVEUR.COM:
- 12 Mail-Order Valentine's Day Sweets »
- 20 Beautiful Birthday Cakes »
- One Pot Meals for Easy Clean Up »
- 10 Family-Friendly Pasta Recipes »
- How to Make Homemade Chocolates for Valentine's Day »