Wondering how to make this year's Labor Day spread the best one yet? Celebrate summer's last hurrah with these delicious Beer-Batter Fried Pickles. Fried pickles go perfectly with burgers, ribs, grilled chicken, and pretty much anything else you can dream up for your Labor Day cookout. Pair with homemade Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce for an extra burst of flavor.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Fry: 4 Minutes
Videos: Measuring Flour
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 (16-oz.) jars dill pickle sandwich slices, drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 (12-oz.) can beer
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce
1. Pat pickles dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk together egg and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1 1/2 cups flour, and whisk until smooth.
3. Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 375Â°.
4. Dip pickle slices into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Fry pickles, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain and pat dry on paper towels; serve immediately with Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Vlasic Kosher Dill Stackers.
Pickles aren't the only summer veggie that tastes great battered and fried. Got a bumper crop of end-of-season green tomatoes? Check out our video guide to making Fried Green Tomatoes.
More from MyRecipes.com:
Southern Living JULY 2007