Quick and delicious snap pea recipesLast year, my housemates and I spent hours planning our garden, painstakingly plotting raised beds on graph paper. We had the perfect spot for sugar snap peas, my favorite spring vegetable, and we tied together tough branches from the lilac bush out back to create a trellis they could climb. One day, my housemate said she threw some morning glory seeds into a bed. Cool, we thought-not knowing any better. Soon, the morning glories twined themselves around our pea vines, literally strangling them. Sigh, no snap peas tonight.
I won't make that mistake again this year, and I'll use my bounty in some of my favorite snap pea recipes, like these quick weeknight suppers:
- Better than Chinese take-out, Sichuan-Style Chicken with Peanuts & Snap Peas has loads of flavor and satisfies my craving for spicy food.
Sugar Snap Pea & Shrimp Curry is a quick dish with crisp peas.
- Plate-licking good Chicken with Sugar Snap Peas & Spring Herbs in a velvety herb-flecked sauce.
- Spring Vegetable Ragout, a colorful vegetarian pasta dish for two.
By Carolyn Malcoun
When associate editor Carolyn Malcoun came to Vermont to attend New England Culinary Institute, she knew she didn't want to work in a restaurant but knew that she wanted to do something in the food industry. Luckily she discovered EatingWell, where she's able to combine her love of food and writing.
Related Links from EatingWell:
- Enjoy your favorite Chinese recipes guilt-free with EatingWell's Healthy Chinese Recipe Collection
- Find more pea recipes in our Healthy Spring Pea Recipe Collection.
Sign up for EatingWell's free weekly newsletters and get healthy recipes, diet tips and nutrition news delivered right to your inbox.
- Get a free trial issue when you subscribe to EatingWell Magazine.