By Food & Wine
Instead of making a traditional American barbecue sauce, F&W's Grace Parisi prepares a sweet, sticky, slightly fiery version using Asian ingredients, like chile sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and ginger. Great Chicken Drumstick Recipes
© Con Poulos Chicken Drumsticks with Asian Barbecue Sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
16 chicken drumsticks (3 pounds)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup sweet Asian chile sauce or hot pepper jelly
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil with the five-spice powder. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and toss. Arrange the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for about 35 minutes, turning twice, until cooked.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the hoisin sauce, chile sauce, rice vinegar, stock, ginger, garlic and sesame oil and puree until very smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and toss with the sauce, until completely coated.
4. Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Return the chicken to the baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes, brushing with the sauce and turning occasionally, until glazed and sticky.
5. Add the sesame seeds to a bowl. Dip the chicken in the seeds to coat; serve.
More from Food & Wine
More Chicken Drumstick Recipes
Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.
Delicious Chicken Wings
Fast Chicken Recipes
Amazing Chicken Breast Recipes
By Food & Wine