By Food & Wine
Superstar chef José Andrés seasons his crisp chicken and rich lentil stew with smoky Spanish paprika called pimentón. Fast Chicken Recipes
Roast Chicken Thighs with Lentil StewRoast Chicken Thighs with Lentil Stew
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 quart chicken stock or broth
8 garlic cloves, plus 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise
1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved lengthwise
1 large green bell pepper, quartered
1 cup green lentils
1 thyme sprig
4 large chicken thighs (2 pounds)
Pimentón de la Vera or smoked paprika
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock, whole garlic cloves, carrot, leek, bell pepper, lentils and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a baking dish, drizzle the chicken with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pimentón. Roast on the top rack for about 40 minutes, until cooked through.
3. Discard the thyme sprig from the lentils. Transfer the garlic, carrot, leek and bell pepper to a blender. Add 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and puree. Drain the lentils and return them to the pot. Stir in the pureed vegetables.
4. In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Add the chopped garlic and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon of pimentón. Scrape the mixture into the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and season with salt. Serve the lentils in bowls topped with the chicken.
More from Food & Wine
Quick Chicken Recipes
Roast Chicken Recipes
Chicken Breast Recipes
Chicken Thigh Recipes
Delicious Spanish Recipes
By Food & Wine
SUPPER CLUB PICK
- Dinner on the Grill Recipes shine.yahoo.com