Bonus: Keeps vampires from wrecking dinner.The most classic of all comfort foods is mashed potatoes. Made with baked potatoes and roasted garlic, they're even better. Fluffy and full of flavor, these will become an instant favorite for family or company.
2 pounds medium white potatoes
1 medium head of garlic - whole
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1. Heat oven to 450° F.
2. Wrap garlic head in aluminum foil and set aside.
3. Scrub potatoes and prick skins with a fork. Rub lightly with oil or wrap each in aluminum foil.
4. Place potatoes and wrapped garlic on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Remove potatoes from foil if wrapped and cut each in half. Scoop out potatoes into a medium bowl and discard skins.
6. Unwrap garlic and squeeze from skins into potatoes.
7. Add butter, salt and milk to potatoes and mash lightly and quickly with a fork or potato masher. Do not over handle potatoes or they will become sticky. Serve hot.
- By Anne Coleman
MORE ON SPOONFUL
31 recipes that let the slow-cooker do the hard work for you
Eyeballs on a fork, veggie goblin grins and 23 more sinister Halloween sweets
Dozens of ways to play with your food - make cheesy chums, a strawberry snake and more!