2 - sticks butter (1 cup)
1 1/3 - cups sugar
2 - tablespoons cold water
1/2 - teaspoon vanilla
2 - cups pepitas
1. Line a cookie sheet with a non- stick baking mat.
2. In a medium sized pot over a medium -low flame with a candy thermometer attached to the side melt sugar and butter down for about 10 minutes. Mixing with rubber spatula constantly.
3. Keep stirring your buttery sugar mixture until your candy drips off the spatula and you can no longer see the sugar, but it now looks like a semi clear mixture.
4. Keeping mixing until your candy thermometer reads 280 degrees fahrenheit. This will take about 15 minutes and your mixture will go from pale brown to golden brown. Then add in the cold water the mixture will bubble and pop.
5. Continue mixing the brittle mixture.
6. Once your candy thermometer reads 300 degrees fahrenheit, remove from the heat/flame and mix in the vanilla. Once it is fully incorporated add in the pepitas.
7. Mix the pepitas into the brittle.
8. Pour the brittle onto the baking mat lined cookie sheet, and smooth out with the rubber spatula.
9. Allow it to cool and harden for 1 hour. Then break into pieces.
- By Nicole Presley
For 12 amazing recipes for roasted pumpkin seeds, visit Babble!